close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Internal Server Error - Suggestions?

Thread began 9/18/2009 1:39 am by B Tonkin | Last modified 9/21/2009 9:05 am by Jason Byrnes | 1888 views | 4 replies |

B Tonkin

Internal Server Error - Suggestions?

I've just used Universal Mail to send out an email to 780 recipients but was unfortunately met with an Internal Server Error message after about 2 minutes of the script running.

I had tested the script with 5 recipients previously which had worked fine, which suggests to me that there's nothing wrong with what I've done, but that there might be a couple of restrictions on what the server can do.

Any suggestions? Sending an email to 5 people took a couple of seconds, which means 780 people might take around 156 seconds or 2.5 minutes.

What adjustments can I make to the server to fix this?

Sign in to reply to this post

lon.winters301855Beta Tester

It sounds like a server script timeout. If you admin the server, you can increase the timeout settings. Otherwise, you can either request this of your webhost, or attempt an override in your code on the email page. What server model are you using?

tom92909Beta Tester

WA UE was never intended to be used as a large volume mailer. There are numerous potential issues on the server side that can occur that WA would have zero ability to deal with.

In the effort to combat SPAM, server admins typically throttle or limit the amount of email that can be blasted out from a domain at any one moment, in addition they may have a threshold number... Lets say 300 messages just as an example, at which point when that number is reached the server blocks everything else from going outward. Resulting in lets say a server timeout.

WA UE is awesome for sending out small to moderate amounts of messages smoothly and easily, but for large volume (>100+) addresses at once, you'll probably encounter server settings that will restrict your activities.

B Tonkin

Doesn't suggest that though ...

It doesn't really suggest that it can't be used as that though, lon.winters301855. That and there's no definitive guide as to what is considered large volume anyway. There's been many suggestions by WA that it can be used to send out large amounts of emails, so if it can be set up to send 100 emails it can be set up to send 800. What you're talking about are restrictions imposed by the server and not a limitation of UE.

I've approached the people running the server to see what they have to say about it. Will report back then.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The restriction isn't so much a Universal Email one, it is a restriction on the server end.

there are a number of factors, most notable the Number Of Concurrent connections the email server can handle. and the time for a script to time out.

The email server will need to be able to handle a connection for each recipient. If you are mailing to 800 people, it will need to allow over 800 concurrent connections. Probably more like 850 or 900, there will be others using the SMTP server as well.

To send to that many people, the script will likely run for a while, the Script timeout setting will need to increased to account for that.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...