close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

max_user_connections error and now 500 errors

Thread began 4/09/2020 1:27 pm by Justin@AdventDesign | Last modified 5/22/2020 9:34 am by Ray Borduin | 714 views | 8 replies |

Justin@AdventDesign

max_user_connections error and now 500 errors

Older site. Front end uses all mysqli, but backend is old and was still using mysql. Client started getting a 'max_user_connections' error this AM. Suspect based upon some other things password for DB connection may have been compromised. Updated passwords and changed connection from pconnect to connect, as suggested in other threads.

Appeared to be working fine, but now on some update pages, getting a 500 error when trying to update data. Page loads fine so it's connecting to the database upon load, but freezes. Adding error reporting code doesn't return anything.

Front end that uses mysqli works fine... until I freeze in the backend with the dataassist pages, then site won't load even the home page.

PHP version is 5.5.36.

I'm sure this is really vague, but looking for some troubleshooting direction.

Sign in to reply to this post

Justin@AdventDesign

A few more details.... I'm able to write to the DB with some pages, but not with others. I updated the security assist page settings, as I found it was improperly coded, but that appears consistent on both pages.

When I attempt to update the record, the page freezes for a long period and then shows the 500 error. When this happens, it appears to crash the entire site as I can't even access the home page or I get the same error.

I've reached out to the host but base level support is scratching their head and has escalated it up the chain. Just wondering if you have any thoughts from your end.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

There is probably an infinite loop of some sort on the page that throws the error. I'd need a copy of the page to possibly spot it. Better yet FTP access and a url to reproduce the issue so I can add debug code and track it down properly.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Justin@AdventDesign

It would appear to be something specific to the host account. I have a sister site that is a near identical match to this one. I've made the same connection and security assist changes on that site, and it still works fine. I've attached both the page on the site with the problem (tbl_product_update.php), and the similar page from the sister site (tbl_product_update_works.php) that is working properly. Save for the addition of a field and corresponding code for that, the pages are identical.

However, I installed the page that works on the sister site onto the site with the problem, and it experiences the same freeze issue. Therefore, I think the problem exists outside the page itself.

See PM

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This is an odd one. It does appear to be a corrupted database of some sort.

The SQL statement that is trying to run when it times out is:

UPDATE `tbl_product` SET `module` = 'product', `title` = 'Stratus Spinner, Blue', `subtitle` = '', `sku` = 'HH127', `intro` = '', `detail` = '', `category_id` = '', `subcategory_id` = '', `display_id` = '3', `image` = '', `sort` = '', `publish` = '1', `dateinsert` = '2019-01-04 00:00:00', `dateupdate` = '2020-04-10 00:00:00', `slug` = '', `featured` = '', `new` = '1', `outofstock` = '1', `limitedstock` = '', `artgroup` = '', `relatedonly` = '', `keywords` = '', `datestart` = NULL, `datestop` = NULL, `author` = '', `file` = '', `link` = '', `videoembed` = ' ', `weight` = '0.00', `price` = '69.00', `percent` = '10', `priceeach` = '0.00', `preprice` = '0.00', `filetype` = '', `prodsize` = '89.5"h x 19"w x 19"d', `relatedid` = '', `detail1` = '', `detail2` = '', `detail3` = '', `detail4` = '', `detail5` = '', `minimum` = '2', `case` = '1', `comingsoon` = '', `comingwhen` = '' WHERE `id`='1514'

It is a simple one row update, so it shouldn't cause an issue. I also tried running:

REPAIR TABLE tbl_product

That also times out with a 500 error.

Maybe try running the repair from phpMyAdmin. I'll try a few more things, but it looks like the database itself is the issue here.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I duplicated the tbl_product table as tbl_product2. Then I tried running the update against that table and it ran without issue.

I think you can simply delete the tbl_product table and rename the tbl_product2 table to tbl_product and it would resolve this issue. I tried renaming the tbl_product table but that times out as well. I didn't want to delete the table from my end since that seemed risky.

verify the data in the tbl_product2 table is complete and accurate and then try dropping the corrupt table and rename the new one.

Justin@AdventDesign

Thanks Ray. You were spot on with the problem. I had a heck of a time wrapping it up, as everything I would try to do on cpanel that involved that table would freeze. However, working with the host, we got it sorted out.

I appreciate your help as always. Sent a donation.

Justin@AdventDesign

Ray, this issue has again popped up and I'm at a loss for how we're ending up in the same boat. We're getting the exact same problem. Making a change to the database via our backend pages freezes the page and kicks 500 errors on any page that utilizes the product table. I don't know if some way in which we're writing to the database is corrupting it. I wouldn't think so, as it's all based on long used webassist code. Have you ever had an issue with a database repeatedly become corrupted? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I think it is more likely to be a hardware issue and a bad hard drive on the server. I'd suggest moving to a new server before a more catastrophic error occurs.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...