close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Captcha / Validation

Thread began 7/29/2019 12:13 pm by elewis93815 | Last modified 8/14/2019 11:28 am by Ray Borduin | 2139 views | 19 replies |

elewis93815

Captcha / Validation

I recently added (yesterday) captcha to this clients form including validation and a show if. This morning 3-4 spam form submissions were still able to go through. Could you please review my programming to tell me if the captcha and validation have been done correctly? Relevant files are attached. Thank you.

Attached Files
WA Welna.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It looks like it is added properly. Are you able to submit the form without a valid captcha value?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

elewis93815

No, the form will not submit unless the captcha value is entered properly. We have a few clients that are getting hit pretty hard with spam submissions. We have an additional few that have captcha in place and are not getting the spam submissions. With that being said, we are putting captcha in place on the ones that are having the problem, however, this one is still getting approx. 4-8 spam submissions a day. Prior to captcha being added, they were getting a dozen or more a day so I can certainly see the difference, however, it is still happening.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can try:

1) adding the security question field as well as CAPTCHA... it asks questions like "is lava hot or cold?" and it is actually harder to get through than a CAPTCHA field.
2) Require login for submission. No bots can get past a login. Then you would only potentially get submissions from people that go through registration and login to send the message.

elewis93815

Thanks Ray, could you give me a quick walkthrough on the security question suggestion. I'm not sure that I know how to do that? Are you suggesting to replace captcha with a security question instead? Thanks for your help!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You could try it instead or on top of your existing validation. Can I get FTP access and a URL to reproduce? There is no direct access to the security question field outside of form builder, so it is probably easiest for me to just add it for you and you can test to see if it accomplishes the required result.

elewis93815

Please see private info

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The FTP information provided doesn't seem to work. Please test to make sure there are no typos and that there aren't IP restrictions that would block my access.

elewis93815

sorry about that, let's try this...sometimes Godaddy will accept an FTP address or an IP address (for the FTP). I think this one connects using an FTP address I've listed the info in a Private message. Thanks again!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I've added the simple question field. Hopefully that will help with preventing spam.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...