close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Box left position problem not tracking previous box width

Thread began 9/16/2009 8:02 pm by gpac357497 | Last modified 9/24/2009 5:52 pm by Jimmy Wu | 5569 views | 9 replies |

gpac357497

Box left position problem not tracking previous box width

I have a menu set up and all looks OK. If I change Level 1 width, then the starting position of Level 2 does not track the change in Level 1. Same would happen if I altered the padding.

I checked in menustyle.xml and it appears that level 2 "left" is not being calculated correctly.

Attached Files
cssmw0.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Jimmy Wu

I just tested this on a menu I've created and changing the width of the top level menu doesn't cause the sublevel menus to be misaligned. Are there any other settings that you have changed for styling within the wizard?

gpac357497

Hi Jimmy,
Please try changing the box width of Level 1 and observe level 2 (as I reported).
I have only changed things within the bounds of MenuWriter.
You have the complete set of my menuwriter files so you should be able to test them directly.

Jimmy Wu

It is difficult to test with your menu, because it is using dynamic menu items and it causes errors with the connection. That is why I wanted to know what kind of settings you specified in the menu so I would be able to better deduce what is happening to cause the menu to miscalculate.

gpac357497

Jimmy,

I repeat:
Please try changing the box width of Level 1 and observe level 2 (as I reported).
I have only changed things within the bounds of MenuWriter.
You have the complete set of my menuwriter files so you should be able to test them directly.

I also repeat:
If I change Level 1 width, then the starting position of Level 2 does not track the change in Level 1. Same would happen if I altered the padding.

These are the settings that I have been changing.

Jimmy Wu

Yes, I have your files, but using them causes errors, since you're creating a dynamic menu and I don't have the connection file, so I have not used them. Also I have not been able to reproduce this on any menus that I have created.

A test you can try is to open a new page and apply a new menu. Keep the menu simple and generate a menu with a main level and 2 sublevels. Try using static links to keep it simple. Change the width of level 1 and see if the problem is on this simple menu as well. Keep everything default on the menu other than adding links to make it have 2 sublevels and changing the width.

If the menu works, then we will know that it is caused by another setting in the wizard that you had previously changed, and not the width and padding calculations.

gpac357497

Hi Jimmy,
I am very concerned with your last response. Of course if you build (and I have) a static menu with multiple levels all is OK.

This only happens with a dynamic menu. In the dynamic case, the starting left position of a level is determined by the ending right position of the level above. In the static case, the starting left position of a lower level is determined by the starting left of the main level. There is a distinct difference.

Please refer to cssmenutest.php for proof of static menu.

Now look at the third level of the products menu on omabeta.shopoma.com.au Please note that I can't leave the menu structure like this forever.

I had the initial width of the three levels set to 150 px and all was OK. I then reduced the width of Level 2 to 130 px which results in a gap between level 2 and level 3. If I were to increase the width of level 2 then it would overlap level 3. The problem is that CSSMW is not recalculating the left position of the next menu down.

You need to do this yourself on your own dynamic menu to find out.

gpac357497

Previous test page should have been:

cssmwtest.php

gpac357497

Hi Jimmy,
I have now updated cssmwtest.php to demonstrate the problem. Please note the A Level 1 box widthehas been reduced in CSSMW. There is now a gap between A Level 1 and A Level 2.

cssmwfiles.zip has been uploaded

Attached Files
cssmwfiles.zip

Jimmy Wu

I am unsure why your menus would be created like this. I have opened a private support ticket for you. Please update this ticket with a phone number to contact you and a good time to contact you at. You can check this ticket by logging into your account at www.webassist.com and checking your support history.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...