close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

CSS Form Builder Docs

Thread began 9/16/2009 7:27 pm by anonymous | Last modified 9/30/2009 7:16 am by Ray Borduin | 1860 views | 4 replies |

anonymous

CSS Form Builder Docs

Hi WA Team,

I have gotten a few emails from WebAssist users for help on CSS Form Builder and it seems that perhaps, some more extensive documentation is would be appropriate.

Is there going to be any more documentation or, perhaps, video tutorials in the near future?

Thanks,

Brian

Sign in to reply to this post

Neil Beadle

CSS Form Builder Documentation

Hey Brian,

We intend to release a new document for CSS Form Builder users that describes the various ways you can use other WebAssist extensions to add functionality to your Form Builder form. This is the only CSS Form Builder documentation planned for the near future.

What we are seeing with Form Builder customers is the need for the form to function after using Form Builder. For example, after creating a contact form with Form Builder, you will need to apply additional behaviors to actually make the form send an email. In this case, you can use Universal Email and reference the documentation for that extension to be successful.

Of course, for those who do not have the other extensions, this would require hand coding and could become quite a cumbersome task.

The alternative approach is to have a functional form to start with, perhaps created by DataAssist or eCart, and customize that form using CSS Form Builder. This way, when you are finished using Form Builder, your form should be ready to go. This has already been documented in the Modifying an existing form with CSS Form Builder How To on the CSS Form Builder Support page: css-form-builder/

If you have other ideas/requests for documentation let us know using the contact form found here:
submit-idea.php

-Neil

anonymous

Thanks Neil,

I, honestly, have had no trouble with the extension at all... but I also understand some of the intricacies for less advanced users can be problematic. The few people that emailed me were asking me how I created a few of my forms and I think their real issue was grasping the fieldset and then editing the groups where you add lines and elements inside lines, etc.

That was the only area that I thought the documentation was lacking from their point of view. It appears that there could be some more detail in both creating the form elements correctly (because you can actually create elements at the fieldset level but it doesn't perform correctly, as opposed at the group level with lines and sets) and the styling of form elements.

For me, like I said, it all is great but I probably get a handle on these things quicker than many other typical users.

Great product, though. Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

Brian

tom250037Beta Tester

Hi,
I finally got a chance to dig around in the form builder recently, and I agree that it is not completely intuitive to use. It took me quite a while to just figure out how to reduce the height of each text field.

One thing I noticed is that there is no way to specify the field name (and id). It appears to be auto generated by the text you enter for the label content, along with the form type.

This causes several problems. One is that if I use the page to do something like send an email, or insert into a database, and I change the form name later, it seems to change all the field names, thus making the variables I used in the database insert, or email not work any more.

Also, it makes many autofill (like google autofill) not work, since they are looking for common field names like first_name and last_name, email, phone etc.

It also can make extremely long field name, and class names, which make the code unwieldy.

Or perhaps I just missed something somewhere.

Thanks!

Tom

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That is true. Form names are auto-generated and require a find/replace to update later, which causes you to not be able to use the form builder for editing.

Really you should use the form builder to build the form and hand edit, since it does a better job of building than it does editing to begin with. The "edit" feature is reall a "rebuild".

If you want to create a form with your own form element names, you can create a simple form by hand that is properly named, then open the form builder with that form highlighted. That will cause the form builder to use the form names from your form.

We will probably need to add a feature to edit form names in the next version because so many people have requested it. Thanks for the feedback.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...