close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Question about Armed Forces Shipping Addresses

Thread began 6/24/2019 8:44 am by Dave Buchholz | Last modified 6/25/2019 8:44 am by Ray Borduin | 364 views | 2 replies |

Dave BuchholzBeta Tester

Question about Armed Forces Shipping Addresses

Had an enquiry about a site I set up a number of years ago, here is an abbreviated version of the message I recieved

Originally Said By: Client
  We just got an order with an Army address, Below is the note I wrote to the customer, and the ship to info as it came up on his order. I tried inputting his address on the site, and put in Armed Forces as the State, and it came up AE AE, just as it did on his order. I googled, and there are three designations possible,

APO stands for Army Post Office and is associated with Army or Air Force installations.
FPO stands for Fleet Post Office and is associated with Navy installations and ships.
DPO stands for Diplomatic Post Office and is associated with U.S. Diplomatic locations.

It is the first military mail we have sent since you set it up, although we do get some on Amazon and eBay.

Note sent to customer
Hi *****,

Thank you for your order! We just need a little bit of clarification before we can ship your package.

Your ship to address on your order says AE AE 09320. (It's a glitch on our website that we're going to get fixed, not anything you did on your end) Our postal program wouldn't take the address. We realized it must be military mail, and tried APO AE 09320 and the system took the address as a good address, and we printed the label.

Then we googled Shipping via military mail, and discovered that there are three different designations, APO, FPO, and DPO. Would you please clarify for us which it should be on the label - APO, FPO or DPO?

Thanks so much!  

I use the standard shipping select lists that were available at the time, have they been updated or can you point me to an example that works the way that my customer thinks it should.

Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I haven't run into this... but it looks like military addresses have a "state" value of:
AE, AP, or AA

and then they have a city value of:
APO or FPO

It looks like this client entered a bad value for the City. They entered "AE", but that is not a valid entry.

I don't have a standard way to account for this. We could probably test if an email address shows up as valid in google and then add an error message if it doesn't. Entering a non-existent city name isn't unique to military customers, but that is essentially what the issue is.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Dave BuchholzBeta Tester

Thanks Ray, that makes perfect sense. I will let my client know.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...