close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Where are changes made to affect the form, label, and inputs?

Thread began 9/14/2009 10:44 pm by steve387748 | Last modified 9/17/2009 3:22 pm by Ray Borduin | 2606 views | 4 replies |

steve387748

Where are changes made to affect the form, label, and inputs?

After looking at the code generated by FB, I have a question regarding the positioning of elements in the form as well as the form itself.

Form width: It states that if I leave this field blank, it will try to fill the containing element (div in my case). Is this true and could it interfere with the div.fullColumnGroup's settings if manually changed?

li.formItem: what item is edited in FB's "design form" capability that causes this value to change?

div.fullColumnGroup: what item is edited in FB's "design form" to change the width and what is this width exactly? Is it basically the width of the form if using a single column layout? If so, why wouldn't it default to the width of the form?

div.errorGroup: what item is edited in FB's "Edit Design" mode to change how far left or right the input field plus the error message will appear? I'm not sure I understand exactly what the errorGroup does.

div.fieldGroup: this appears to be the div that holds the input plus the error messages if validation is included for the field. Is this right? If so, where is the positioning of this controlled or is it?

When editing the form's design in FB, I see a "size" related to a text field that states X-Large, Large, medium, etc., what is this "size" about? Is it how wide the input text field will be? Some kind of a preset?

I thought FB is re-entrant in the sense that if I edit the CSS manually it will show up with the changes for various CSS values when I attempt to edit the design of the form again using FB. I've found this is not the case since it seems to overwrite what I've done. Maybe I don't understand it correctly.

I wish there was a tutorial or a help section that would describe exactly which things to change to cause elements to move on a finished page so that I could quickly design a form. Sometimes it's a little confusing. An example is that when clicking on Help, I see a FB help page listing the various things that can be controlled by FB. If you look at Form Elements: Text on the help page, you'll see that at the top under General there's a way to select the desired font size. But then if you look at the next section down it lists "Size" and there's a pull-down for X-Large. The Help page shows that the desired size for your text can be set. This doesn't make sense. Where is it set, under General for the font-size, or under Size? There's also a width setting which in the example shows 592 pixels. Does this mean a 592 px text input field? That's pretty large for any form.

I guess the part that's causing me confusion is that I don't see how making a change using the Edit Designer mode maps to the actual CSS that's being generated. I've tried to design a form and it's not at all what I think it will be as far as positioning on a pre-constructed page. I spent a lot of time trying to manually make changes to the CSS to make it look like what I wanted, only to try to edit the design using FB and find that all of my changes were gone and the layout is buggy again.

sorry for the lengthy posting.

steve

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

1) form width is the width set in the css for the form itself. If left blank it will stretch to fit the interior contents and not the container tag. If you want to fill the container you would have to set it to 100% or the width of the container tag. Certainly adjusting any css styles could effect how the form displays.

2) the formitem container is consistent for all forms, so it isn't changed by any of the settings.

3) fullColumnGroup is the width of the form in a single column layout... the width isn't specified so it should stretch to fit the content up to the available space. It is also used for the second column in a two column layout so that it will stretch to fit the entire form width.

4) error group is a container tag. It's main purpose is to make sure that the error messages align correctly if they wrap to the next line.

5) field group is edited in the them under "form elements" -> "element groups"

6) the actual width of each of these (small, medium, large...etc) are set in the them. Choose "Form elements" -> "Text" and then for each size you can specify a width and other attributes.

7) It will not inspect hand edited changes. Once you start editing the form by hand you will have to continue to, since edits by hand will be overwritten when reapplying.

We hope to expand on our documentation to help clarify some of the features and things to look out for in the future. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

troyd

What about the fieldset outline? I've competed my form but it's on a dark page and I do not want the outline for the fieldset. I don't find it in the css file. And I disabled all styles within Firefox using the webdeveloper plugin. The outline does change from a groove style to a solid gray but it remains.
I'm afraid that if I reopen FB it will overwrite all of my style changes and I don't want that to happen.

TroyD

troyd

I ended up removing the border by simply putting a 0 value for the border under the fieldset. style. That works fine for me but I would still like to know where the border was coming from without me overriding it with this style. Just for my own education. Is this found in the script somewhere? I've looked and looked.

I did find in the "Edit Design" where you can add/edit/delete this border but this form was already way to far into custom for me to reapply the FB. I think so anyway. So I created a test form to see where I went wrong before. I know now.

Thanks,
TroyD

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Fieldsets automatically have a border if nothing is specified in html. You have to specificaly set the border to zero for it not to show.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...