close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Viewing Floats on a cell phone

Thread began 9/14/2009 7:01 am by julie383376 | Last modified 9/14/2009 10:09 am by julie383376 | 2489 views | 2 replies |

julie383376

Viewing Floats on a cell phone

First, I'm still learning CSS, and while my knowledge has grown in leaps in bounds, I overlook small details sometimes :)

My site is www.wble101.com. I'm pretty happy with the layout right now - it's a frames layout, with some CMS on selected pages. The top frame is fine, but I'm having a problem on one particular page that appears in the bottom frame: the Local News page.

This page has two columns of text (each in their own div): the first one is community news, the second one is church news. Before the closing div tag for church news (which is the last div before the footer), I have a "clear float" class applied to a <br /> tag.

While I haven't concentrated on formatting the pages for viewing on a cell phone, I would still like it to work! When I view the Local News page on my iPhone, the two text columns all float to the left and the footer comes up underneath the top frame.

I have tried the two floats both floating left, and I've tried it with the community news floating left, and the church news floating right - the footer still pops up top!

Any ideas? I'm not sure if I need to attach the CSS or the php page, but I'll be happy to if anyone needs it to help diagnose this...

Thanks for your help,

~Fergie

Sign in to reply to this post

Justin Nemeth

Instead of using a br and clear float, you can try applying 'overflow: hidden' to your #container div. That is an alternate (and cleaner) way to clear the floated elements. I am not sure why the page wouldn't work well on an iPhone. You can test using safari or chrome since they both run webkit just like the iPhone, and see if that reveals anything.

julie383376

Darn Floats

Thanks for your help, Justin!

I tried that, but the iphone still wasn't happy.

That whole thing about applying a clear float to the br is from a Dreamweaver sample layout, and I'm not really sure how to use it. The comment says that it's to be applied div or br elements...

However, what I did that worked was to put clear: both in the #footer div. It worked, but I always worry that solutions I use will start the dominos falling!

Thanks again!

~Fergie

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...