close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

DFP 1 or 2 ?

Thread began 9/14/2009 6:54 am by bbifl346249 | Last modified 9/15/2009 2:43 pm by Ray Borduin | 3285 views | 9 replies |

bbifl346249

DFP 1 or 2 ?

I'm having so many problems with DFP 2 that I might revert back to 1.

With 2 I must have a PHP page ? with 1, I can use an ASP page ?

I already have some Security Assist rules using session variables for my ASP pages, but if I move to DFP 2 then I'll need to mirror (re-create) these rules for PHP pages ?

DFP 2 with PHP is at 'the mercy' of my ISP and their PHP settings/policy ? but, DFP 1 does not need PHP ?

I'm only using DFP to download large zip files (30 MB) containing software. If DFP 1 works, is there any reason to move to DFP 2 when I'll obviously be incurring a lot of extra work to build PHP pages, work with my ISP on their PHP settings and establish rules and session variables for my PHP pages that I want to protect with Security Assist ?

Any thoughtful guidance with be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

In your case you should just stick with DFP 1. You don't need any DFP 2- specific functionality and are using ASP (which is the primary reason, since DFP2 does not support ASP).

If you work on a site in the future or make a major update, try moving to PHP at that time. Setting up security rules is practically identical to what you are used to, so it shouldn't take too long.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

bbifl346249

OK DFP 1 it is

Are there any steps required to cleanly remove DFP 2 and re-install DFP 1 DreamWeaver extension ?

For example, when it advises that a newer file already exists, when re-installing DFP 1, should I say yes to all ? especially when I have many other WebAssist extension installed ?

Thanks for your guidance.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I would probably say "yes to all" and then if it did cause problems reinstall the extension it caused problems with "yes to all" as well. Most likely there wouldn't be any issues, but it is possible when installing an older extension, but reinstalling a newer extension should resolve those issues if they occur.

bbifl346249

Arggggg, DFP 1 not working

After removing the DFP 2 extension and then re-adding DFP 1.13 I receive the following error when I try to edit a previously created DFP instruction, in my ASP page.

I get the attached message.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Clear your dreamweaver filecache: showthread.php?t=3925&highlight=winfilecache+appdata

bbifl346249

Phew back to DFP1, but everything is working

This solved the problem for DFP1, I'll need to re-install all the other extensions, but that's something I can handle.

I'm back with DFP1 because DFP2 is unreliable when downloading large 30MB Zip files (I have documented this on another thread).

I have proven that with DFP 2 the download would work sometimes and fail more often than it works when dealing with slower international internet connections.

I played with changing the PHP settings at both of my providers (Earthlink & GoDaddy) but neither provided a reliable solution.

With DFP 1, it works first time, every time, no matter where and what my connection is.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The issue must have something to do with the image resizing, since other than that the code is identical. Do you have a sample file that you were having issues with? We can use it in our testing to try to determine a resolution for a dot release.

bbifl346249

I'll help in any way I can

If you provide me with an email address I will send you information that will allow you access to our FTP containing the sample files and the code we used.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

my email is ray@webassist.com

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...