close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

30% of Canadian Users are submitting payments multiple times with eCart6

Thread began 3/11/2019 11:17 am by cal114936 | Last modified 3/11/2019 3:18 pm by Ray Borduin | 489 views | 6 replies |

cal114936Beta Tester

30% of Canadian Users are submitting payments multiple times with eCart6

It seems 30% of Canadian Users are submitting payments multiple times using eCart6 even with the progress bar enabled. Would this be because they have javascript turned off? This has become a big problem with the client. Need some help asap.

On the checkout page we also have a noscript...

<noscript>
<style type="text/css">
.pagecontainer {display:none;}
</style>
<div class="noscriptmsg" style="height:100px; padding: 50px; font-size:28px; color:white;">
Javascript is not enabled in your browser. Javascript must be enabled to make a purchase on HotVWs.com.
</div>
</noscript>

Which seems to be functioning in Chrome.

Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What is the website url? I'll see if I can spot an issue. If you give me FTP access then I could try making any necessary changes.

The key to fixing any problem is to figure out why it occurs. I doubt 30% of Canadians have javascript turned off. You could hide the button by default and display it with javascript to make sure that isn't the cause. You could also add a session check to make sure it never happens. If you send me a URL to reproduce the issue and FTP access I'll help you implement it.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

cal114936Beta Tester

Thanks, I don't get it. Why is it primarily Canadian orders?

35 orders or 30% over the year. Only 1 or two from Germany and two in the US. It couldn't possibly be shipping rules? Could it?

See PM

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Is the payment going through twice? is the orders database updated twice? Are the people paying with credit card or paypal?

I added this to the top of the confirm.php page:

php:
<?php 

if ((isset($_POST["Payment_submit"]) || isset($_POST["Payment_submit_x"])) && isset($_SESSION["eCart1_OrderID"]))  {

header("location: hvw-checkout_success.php");
   die();
 }
?>

It checks to see if the session variable that is saved when an order is inserted into the database already exists before processing the transaction again. Then it redirects to the success page if it does already exist, since this hypothetically means that the transaction has been processed but the success page hasn't been viewed since the session variable is removed on the success page.

I think that should stop any repeat transactions unless users are somehow visiting the success page and going back to the checkout page to process the payment a second time.

cal114936Beta Tester

The order database is not inserted or updated from any Canadian orders. I believe the customer will resubmit several times thinking the order didn't go through according to the office manager. The order processes through both Credit Cards and PayPal.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That means that the issue is probably a failure on the insert into the database preventing the order from going through fully. My fix probably won't help then. I'll bet they are getting an error associated with the database insert and then trying again, but since the database insert happens after the payment, it causes multiple payments to be processed.

This probably happens because of invalid data in one of the fields. So the next thing to consider is what changes in Canada vs US checkout... Maybe they are leaving the "State" field blank since that changes for canadian users.... maybe they are entering too long of a state and your database entry length doesn't allow enough characters... US customers choose the state from a list, so it will never be blank and never be more than 2 characters in length.

The first step in fixing any problem is reproducing it. Try checking out with a canada address leaving the state field blank. Try entering a long state name like "British Columbia". See if you can reproduce the problem.

Once you can reproduce the issue, go into the orders table in your database and update the OrderState and OrderShippingState columns... make sure they both have "Allow Null" selected and make sure their entry length is set to 100 so you would have plenty of space. Then try to reproduce the problem again. If you can reproduce it initially and then can't reproduce it later, that means you fixed it. Reproducing the issue first is key because it is the only way to verify you have fixed it after.

cal114936Beta Tester

Thanks Ray, I will give it a shot. Sounds like it will work.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...