close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

WebAssist's Security Assist not working on localhost

Thread began 1/22/2019 2:11 pm by randyrie405335 | Last modified 1/30/2019 10:05 am by Ray Borduin | 1518 views | 26 replies |

randyrie405335

WebAssist's Security Assist not working on localhost

I'm probably not configuring the suite of security pages correctly. Is there a detailed tutorial available? What I have set up 'out-of-the-box' is not working at all on localhost: no registration data in dB (Capthcha does not display code on localhost so I cannot enter it and thus the registration fails), logon gives a spinning wheel then an 'invalid username/password error. So the big question is how to test on localhost before I add the logon suite (and restrictions to all my webpages) and publish only to get a bunch of errors?

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You could remove the captcha validation to allow registration without it on your localhost. Most likely it isn't working on your localhost because you don't have the GD Library enabled in your php.ini file. That might allow you to view the Captcha.

Another option would be to add the user to your database manually through phpMyAdmin so you could test the login page.

You could also just create a sub-folder on your live server like /beta and upload all of your files there so you can test and make sure they all work before going live so you wouldn't have to worry about using a localhost at all.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

randyrie405335

Security Assist not working properly

I've taken your suggestion and posted the test logon suite to my development server (see private message) and have manually added r=test data to its dB. But...

The logon does not open the index page with the correct credentials, the email to reset the PW does not return to the site, the registration does not fill in all the data... is there a step-by-step tutorial I can review to help me properly set up and use these pages?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The wizard should just work, so there is no tutorial on how to debug issues that arise... that is what this forum is for.

Let's take it one page at a time. We will do: registration, login, forgot password

So first let's talk about registration. Please send a url to the page that doesn't work, and a description of what exactly is wrong. Please also attach a copy of the page so I can open it in dreamweaver to see the code.

Once we have the registration page working then we can move on to the login page.

randyrie405335

Security Assist not working properly

I'm attaching a zip file that contains the entire logon suite and the dB SQL dump. See my private message.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I went to your site and the registration and login seem to work. The issue seems to be that the index page has the wrong rule to restrict access to page. The rule should say to restrict access if they are not logged in to pcms2_users.

So the code should be:

php:
<?php

if (!WA_Auth_RulePasses("Logged in to pcms2_users")){

WA_Auth_RestrictAccess("login.php");
}
?>

not:

php:
<?php

if (!WA_Auth_RulePasses("Failed log in")){

WA_Auth_RestrictAccess("login.php");
}
?>

randyrie405335

I made the change and the login still does not open the index page... nothing happens after I submit. I do see your test data in the dB, tho. The 'Forgot PW' takes me to the 'Change PW' screen but I get no email notice.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

After I log in I see the home page. What do you see? What do you expect to see? What are you entering in the fields? I'm going to need more detailed information if you want me to help you.

randyrie405335

I'm attatching four screen captures to show my issue... when I login, I get and "invalid..." error with the PW I copy & paste from the dB. I'm using FireFox, BTW.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You are using password encryption. You can't use the password that you see in the database. For instance, my password is "test123". That is what you would have to enter to log in, not the value you see in the database.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...