close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

DW CS6 and TLS 1.2 will no longer work together in most cases

Thread began 6/26/2018 3:09 pm by TroyD | Last modified 6/29/2018 10:44 am by Ray Borduin | 3996 views | 16 replies |

TroyD

DW CS6 and TLS 1.2 will no longer work together in most cases

It appears that DW CS6 will no longer work with servers that are TLS 1.2. A few days ago, some of my sites wouldn’t connect through DW, to the databases. I finally figured out that those that would not connect, were the sites that I had SSL certificates configured. It turns out that at that time my server host upgraded their servers to use TLS 1.2 to get ready for the requirements of PayPal, UPS and a few others.

After some research, I found some confirmation that DW CS6 will not work with TLS 1.2.
I realize it’s an old version of DW and I should try to upgrade to CC but I kept putting it off because of various issues I read about it with regards to DW CC. I even found a post that said that the 2017 version of DW CC wasn’t working with TLS 1.2. I assume that has been fixed by now but wanted to make sure. Has anyone had any issues or solutions for any of the DW versions?

Again, this is only affecting sites that are hosted on servers that are TLS 1.2 and don't have TLS 1.0 or 1.1 enabled and I believe only affects sites that also have an SSL installed. This doesn't break your site, it just makes using the behavior panel impossible. At least, that is my experience so far.

Thanks
TroyD

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I doubt that is the problem. I don't think the TLS version should matter. My guess is that it is a problem with your site definition and not having https:// in the testing server url.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

TroyD

I really hope you are correct but I have already tried adding https in my connection settings. The ftp part works and it already did work, but when I try to look at a database or test a recordset, I get a popup message in DW that says my SSL Certificate isn't installed correctly, even though I know it is. I assume that's DW seeing the TLS 1.2 and not knowing what to do with it.

Although I haven't found anything official, I did find this on an adobe forum. It kind of reads as an official confirmation since a "staff" member provides a work around of using another ftp program. Of course, it doesn't mention the behavior panel specifically so it's not an exact match to my problem.

This forum is mostly about yahoo hosting where they posted a notice that once they upgrade their servers to TLS 1.2, Dreamweaver (doesn't even mention a version number) won't work to ftp.

I will keep trying though. You gave me some encouragement that it might still work.

Oh, I should also mention that I did whitelist my IP address in the cPanel under SQL Remote settings and that didn't make a difference. Maybe I am missing something else. I will keep trying.

Thanks
TroyD

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I suppose it is possible if you only have sftp over tls enabled. If you open up a standard ftp account then that should allow you to keep using dreamweaver.

TroyD

Ray,

Can I ask for some clarification here? I might be misunderstanding.
Right now, I do have FTP set for "Connect using:" This is what I have always used.
I have not been able to change it to SFTP and I just learned from my server company that I have to activate SSH for each cPanel that I want to use SFTP. I'm not familiar with activating shell access and I don't want to do something that would be a security risk. They have "Jailed Access" which I might try first, but before I do that I wanted to check to see what you meant because it looks like you are saying that I should use the FTP to connect.

One other thing I wanted to clarify from my end is that the FTP works fine for files. I can upload and download files no problem. But when I try to access the database through a binding or recordset it just won't show anything. And if I open the connection window and click "Test" it says there is an "An undefined error has occurred".

This is just so weird since I have been doing this for years and all of my sites work that don't have SSL. I've missed something somewhere I think. Could it be some kind of SNI issue since I have shared IP addresses with SSL certificates? Just a thought.

Thanks
TroyD

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Can you export and send me your site definition file? I'll take a look. I don't think the TLS version would matter when you are using standard FTP.

TroyD

See PM

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Your export didn't include the username and password, so I can't really test with it. However I can see you have your testing server url set to:
https://midwestreptile.com/

However when I put that into my browser it redirects to:
https://www.midwestreptile.com/

I think if you update your Web URL for your testing server to:
https://www.midwestreptile.com/

it will fix your issues with connecting to the database.

TroyD

Ray,

I just tried adding www but that didn't change anything. Please see PM.

Troy

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It looks like you added the www. to the Remote Server and not the Testing Server. It would have to be added to both.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...