close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

installing CMS

Thread began 3/20/2018 8:23 am by LWag48648773 | Last modified 3/21/2018 4:08 pm by Ray Borduin | 1425 views | 8 replies |

LWag48648773

installing CMS

I've been using CMS or PowerCMS for years. I always install the same way. I setup a database and then I upload the whole CMS folder to the server. Then I go to the-domain.com/CMS/install_cms. I should get the installation wizard but instead it takes me to the login page. And of course I don't have a login yet. There are no files in the database at this point.

I just got a new computer running Windows 10 and I couldn't get my copy of Dreamweaver CS6 to load so I went back to CS4.
I'm not sure if I should be using Design Extender or CMS Builder. I had always been using Power CMS2.

Has something changed with CMS2? Are there new instructions somewhere?
Is there a better way to install?

Thank you for your help.
Laura

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Check your connections folder. Is there already a file named: Connections/installed_cms.txt

Delete that file and try again if it exists.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

LWag48648773

Thank you Ray. I should have known that! I had that same issue many years ago.
So now I put a note in my instructions. But I have one other problem. I got past the database screen. Info was filled in correctly.
Next step is Admin Login. It's telling me I'm not connecting to the database. I've attached a screenshot.
Now what silly, little thing am I missing?
Thank you very much.

Attached Files
CMS.docx

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This could be an older version of the cms installer that doesn't get around the latest security_mod in apache. We updated the file, but yours may not be updated yet.

If you give me FTP access I can check the file and make sure it is up to date.

LWag48648773

Ah - you just jogged my memory. I had this problem last fall too but the weird thing is I just did an installation about 6 weeks ago, using the same upload files. It worked fine.

I read back through all your messages from last fall. You told me I should be using Design Extender files.
I tried that with all the steps of inserting content through Dreamweaver but I just get error messages when I try to connect to database.
I'd rather upload all the files and then connect through the web page but I don't know where to get the files. Are they in DesignExtender_122.zxp?
I downloaded that but don't know how to unzip it.

FTP access in private message area.

Thank you.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Are you sure the connection details are correct in the Connections/PowerCMSConnection.php file? The error implies that file might have the wrong connection information in it.

What is the URL to the website? I can try to install and debug that way.

LWag48648773

I just deleted the database and added it again. Same results.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I deleted the connection file and re-ran the installer and it worked. If the connection file exists it doesn't create the database tables since it thinks it was already created.

LWag48648773

Oh man! So easy. I just tried another site and it worked perfectly!
I'll make another note in my instructions so I don't have to bug you again.

Thank you so much!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...