close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Settings to test sendmail function using MAMP PRO

Thread began 8/31/2017 8:30 am by s.joiner74419001 | Last modified 9/02/2020 8:40 am by Ray Borduin | 1189 views | 6 replies |

s.joiner74419001

Settings to test sendmail function using MAMP PRO

I have wanted to test various web pages that uses the sendmail function and I am wanting to test them locally using MAMP PRO. I believe for the postfix settings within the MAMP PRO interface all I have to enter if I'm testing to my own email is the domain for the particular email I am sending to ( see attachment 01)

I am unsure what settings I use for the 'Universal Email Behaviour" within Dreamweaver ( see attachment 2 )

Thanks in advance!

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

To have your localhost send email you need to install a local SMTP server configured for email relay.

If you want to use a remote smtp server you would likely have to use the PEAR mail option for authentication.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

s.joiner74419001

an old problem re-visited!

OK so years later I still haven't got this sorted.

here's the current circumstance.

For some reason when I am in the office and I'm testing our application system that on certain functions fires emails to the customer and back to us.
When I use emails that are provided by our host as dummy customers, the emails seem to send, even though I am testing on a MAMP setup. But more predictably won’t work if I test using gmail, iCloud etc.

So i’ve been able to test with no problem and haven’t needed to pursue with your suggestion of installing a local SMTP server and use the PEAR mail option for authentication.

However since working from home due to COVID, all be it on the same computer that I bring home, trying to test mail using the same email addresses from our host does not work. Which just baffles me. I don’t understand why change of location would be different, or why it would even work from the office using remote host emails, even though I am using a localhost. Maybe there’s a logical reason for this beyond my knowledge.

I have read about setting up Postfix in MAMP pro, where you use what is called “a smart host for routing” but I am completely out my comfort zone with this and just can’t get it to work when testing the send mail scripts from WebAssist. Not sure this is even what I should be doing.

Any further advice to this would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If you use DataBridge v2 we have a newer, better, email solution. It will allow you to use authenticated emails without PEAR and will improve email deliver-ability and any location variances. I'd start by migrating to DataBridge v2 and use SMTP authentication when sending emails.

s.joiner74419001

I'm currently on Databridge Version 2.3.5. Is that the latest version?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Yes... If you re-apply the email server behavior it will update the code base. Go to the email server settings and set it to use smpt and enter your email server credentials.

s.joiner74419001

Thanks Ray.. Got this working after a few tweaks.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...