close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Double Opt-In setup not working on host site.

Thread began 7/29/2017 6:58 am by mick358555 | Last modified 8/04/2017 10:54 am by Ray Borduin | 854 views | 4 replies |

mick358555Beta Tester

Double Opt-In setup not working on host site.

I have followed the double opt-in system set up tutorial and it works perfectly on my localhost setup using XAMPP the mail works both ways using Mercury32. However, when I transfer it to the online host site and establish the connection whereby the scripts can read the database, however when it comes to sending the verification email out it stops working and the email doesn't get sent.

I checked with my provider and they have a document which I have copied here:

To prevent spam being sent through our webservers, there are certain conditions that must be met before our SMTP servers will send the email.

Email must be sent to, or from, an existing email address hosted by Fasthosts. This must be a mailbox on the same domain name on which the form to mail script is being hosted.
To stop misuse of your form by third parties the sendmail_from variable should be set to your Fasthosts hosted email address. While access to the php.ini file is restricted on our shared environment, you can sent this variable using the ini_set() command, shown below.
A fifth parameter, -f, should be added to the sendmail function. This will set the name of the from email address.

Having looked at the associated pages created by Data Bridge during the tutorial I see that the following files already have the -f switch already:

webassist\email\mail_php.php - $mailObj = @mail($mailTo,$mailSubject,$mailContent,$mailHeader,"-f".$mailFrom." -r".$mailObj->ReturnPath);
webassist\security_assist\mail_php.php - $mailObj = @mail($mailTo,$mailSubject,$mailContent,$mailHeader,"-f".$mailFrom." -r".$mailObj->ReturnPath);

is there anywhere else I need to put it? Has anyone else had this problem?

I have also made sure that the $MailFrom has a Fasthosts email address.

Appreciate any help, I have been pulling out my hair on this and talking with the Fasthost technician is even more of a frustration as they don't seem to understand their own restrictions.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I'd need FTP access and a url to debug. It looks like you have everything correct on the surface. The extra parameter is only used if you have selected it when you applied the email server behavior. It may be that you just didn't do that.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

mick358555Beta Tester

Thanks Ray, I have shared what the techs at my host provided, but I am not sure how to apply the response, appreciate the help. posted in private

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This email from your techs is saying you can't use php mail() and you have to use PEAR mail... however I've tested your files and that doesn't seem to be the case.

It looks like you have an issue with your database connection on that page. I had to disable the check for unique username on line 27 and the insert into the database on line 43 before I could even get the email code to test fire.

Once I did that, and I enabled the "extra from parameter" option on the webassist/email/waue_registration_1.php page on line 15 I got the welcome email without issues.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

mick358555Beta Tester

Thanks for looking into this for me. Your pointer toward the database made me recreate the SQL users table file and I re-installed it to the online database and all things started to work as expected without any further changes necessary. I will triple check in future. Appreciate the support, best regards

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...