close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Intermittent Error

Thread began 12/03/2016 12:17 pm by Warrio | Last modified 2/02/2017 12:09 pm by Ray Borduin | 2657 views | 8 replies |

Warrio

Intermittent Error

Hi Ray, I have a problem that pops up every so often with saving orders to the db, it's happened twice this week.(over a few hundred sales)

There are two types of failure.

1.The user will be directed to PayPal then back to our site to confirm the sale, the sale is completed and funds credited to our PayPal account, however no record is saved in our db.
2.The user uses their credit card on our site, the transaction is completed and funds credited to our PayPal account, however only partial details are captured, the sales lines are saved but no customer data.

I use jsvalidate to confirm the info on the checkout page, to keep our stock levels accurate as soon as an item is placed in the cart, an order is generated with the session id, so in our case our database will accept null values in all the summary fields except for the session id field.

Both methods use the same save order code by using an include to another file with the eCart store summary and details.

Wondering if you've come across this or have any ideas

Cheers
Norman

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I haven't seen that. We use paypal for our store and haven't had an issue like that.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way your checkout code is structured. If you want to attach your checkout code to a reply I can see if something stands out. Otherwise the best thing to do is to try to figure out what the failures have in common. It is really hard to track and fix a problem you can't reproduce, but once you can reproduce it I'm sure I can help you get it fixed.

You may want to create a debug table in your database and start dumping information about each sale. Insert the session id and date and time as well as the entire contents of the session and post and then when the next failure happens you can take a look and see if you can spot an anomaly or similarity. The first step to fixing any problem is understanding the cause. Something has to be causing it.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Warrio

Thanks Ray,

I'll start working on it, we had just under 50 sales today and one had no customer details.
I've added a screen shot of one transaction.

Thanks again for your help

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Odd... can I see a copy of the confirm.php page? It looks like the information wasn't even sent to paypal, so that explains why it wouldn't be in your database. Somehow they are able to get through the server validation and not provide customer information. I'd have to look at the page to see how.

Warrio

Other times the information is in PayPal but not in our database as well.

This is the busiest week of the year for us so I'll try and sort it out on the weekend and get back to you.

Cheers
Norman

Warrio

Field Length?

Hi Ray, just getting some time to look for a few niggly errors, I had a failure using PayPal express to save to the db the other day, all the info was saved at PayPal however no order at our end.

The one thing I noticed, this customer had loads of information, it was a hospital so it floors wards, reception, doctors name c/o departments and on it went.

Just wondering if it was the amount of data to be saved? I would have though it would have been truncated it it was too long.

I have to keep the address fields to around 40 chr's to allow for uploading data to Australia Post.

What are the default character lengths for the PayPal site check out?

Cheers
Norman

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If it passed paypal then it should just be truncated if it was a data length issue with your database. I doubt that was the problem. That theory would make sense if it failed paypal checkout as well, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Maybe your best option is to start logging the information returned from paypal on the pp_confirm.php page. We could store the returned information in .txt files associated with the order timestamp so that if one ever failed we could look up the result. You could manually clear out the folder monthly when there are no issues, but have a log if you ever have an issue. That would give us something concrete to go on.

Do you know if they got a success or failure page on your site?

Warrio

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll work on it. I do log all failures from the failure page so I'll go have a look and see if I can match the timestamp to the PayPal transaction

Cheers

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I would log it on the pp_confirm page after the transaction is processed and before the save in database. That would catch the problem if it was redirecting to either the success or failure page.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...