close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How can I duplicate an existing record in a DB table

Thread began 9/28/2016 4:21 pm by mrs | Last modified 9/29/2016 12:51 pm by Ray Borduin | 622 views | 2 replies |

mrs

How can I duplicate an existing record in a DB table

I have a table that has a large amount of columns and data, and once that data has been entered into a record, it will be useful to be able to duplicate that record as a great deal of the info is going to be similar if not exactly the same. The only things that will change from the original record to the duplicated will be details like dates and prices.

To save the administrators having to retype a majority of the same content, I want to be able to duplicate it to create a new version that can then edited as required, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Could you advise please?

I assume I need to do some sort of mysql select and insert code, but I don't know what, where how to implement it.

Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

mrs

Found the answer to the MySQL code. The search results I was finding related to content that was unintentionally duplicated and how to prevent it, but with a search on cloning, I found an answer that I was then able to manipulate.

INSERT INTO table (col1, col2, col3)
SELECT col1, col2, col3 FROM table
WHERE id = 1

It works a treat in Sequel Pro, but I can't figure out how to trigger the code to run. So, if you could advise on that, that'd be great.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can Update the code from a recordset to use this code instead.

Create a recordset with the SQL:
"SELECT * FROM table WHERE id = idparam"

and create a parameter idparam that is set to the record you want repeated (probably from a form post).

Then manually update the SQL after the recordset has been created to look like the code example you have above.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...