close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

oppinion on admin approach on ecommerce website

Thread began 3/28/2016 5:15 pm by Christopher West | Last modified 3/29/2016 9:48 am by Ray Borduin | 1056 views | 3 replies |

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

oppinion on admin approach on ecommerce website

Hi, I am trying to design a good approach for my new ecommerce website.

(1) Currently I have a supplier uploading product images via FTP to the server, they are also including a .CSV which I intend to set up a CRON job so it adds the data to a table on the database. With this I have setup on the backend to allow my client to select from these records and create a product. With this approach I am not storing any product filenames directly in the products table in the database. The filenames of the product images consist of the product SKU (which is stored in the product table - I could also allow the client to manually upload a product image if required. This approach does mean that I cannot use any WebAssist server behaviors to do any image manipulation such as image resize. But can use the WebAssist server behavior to cache a resized image on the server. Any thoughts on this approach. Am I missing any potential problems that could arise?

(2) Relating to the above, I may have discovered a bug, In the backend part of the website, when I initially look at the page displaying all the newly uploaded images (there are over 1000). Using the pagination last page button, The very last record that was showing was a PHP error relating to the WebAssist Image Resizer server behavior. I need to reproduce this, but is there a limit on what the server behavior can do since it is caching a lot of images?

(3) Im trying to plan ahead and figure out a good way to allow my client to assign products to categories. basically I have 3 tables (category, product and a linking table which stores the ID values of both the category and product records). My questions are; (a) Should I design it so that when the client goes to the category section in the admin, they can click a link beside each category record which takes them to a page where they can chose a product to assign...or (b) when the client goes to the product section in the admin, they can click a link besides each product record which takes them to a page where they can chose a category to assign? (c) Do I do both approaches from questions A and B? (d) I was thinking on the actual product update page I could create a dropdown where client can chose a category to assign, when they have chosen one, I can use javascript to display another dropdown where client can chose another category to assign and so on) - This could be a different form submit on the page). is there an approach I haven't thought of?

Chris

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Missing images can cause errors... that was probably what was going on. You can wrap the image tag with an IF statement to make sure it isn't displayed when the image doesn't exist. Resizer is a good approach otherwise.

I think either approach on the category assignment would be acceptable. It is a usability decision probably based on the number of items you might have in a category. If there are going to be a lot, then maybe selecting products for the category would become hard to manage, but if there will only be a few dozen products, then that might be the easier approach.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

Thanks Ray, Yeah there are missing images on the server, So that's cleared that up :)

Yeah I need to nail the approach soon as I need to code it :) I would like to have the mind set that there is going to be a lot of products (just because I will cover myself in case the client comes back, I like the idea of using javascript to display a select list each time the clients assigns a product to a category or vice versa (depending on the approach) I have never used multi select on a select list where it updates the database (perhaps you can help me on that on a premiere support ticket). Obviously I need to allow the client to remove product <-> category associations as well. would a multi select list approach be better than displaying an individual select list each time? I assume the mutli select list approach will be harder to code? Well its beyond my scope :)

Chris

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Multi-select list would be easier to code. Repeating select lists with javascript is more difficult, but we could do either in a support ticket.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...