close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Session variable disappears after using the insert function

Thread began 3/09/2016 6:35 pm by dazler1977 | Last modified 3/10/2016 10:59 am by Ray Borduin | 988 views | 5 replies |

dazler1977

I have on my site where I display the username as a session variable in the header of the website. When I navigate between the pages, the session variable remains, but on one of my pages I am using a modal box with a form inside. When the user clicks on the submit button the insert function is saving the data to the database, but that username session variable disappears but the logout function is still visible on the website.

The weird thing is if I remove the insert function and then hit the submit button, of course the page doesn't do anything but refresh, but the session variable does not disappear. On another page where I have an update function, the session variable does not disappear.

Do you have any idea what this could be?

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Make sure you have @session_start() before setting or referring to any session variables. Maybe it isn't started on that page?

Another issue could be in a .htaccess file if the page in question is in a different folder... different folders can be configured to have a different session through .htaccess.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

dazler1977

It is started on that page because when you navigate to that page you see that username session variable. When I click on the link that opens the modal box and then hit the submit button, I set the success redirect to return to the same page and when the page comes back up then the username session variable is gone.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If you want to give me FTP access and steps to reproduce I can try debugging. The only thing I can think is that there wasn't a session_start() when the session variables were saved in the first place.

dazler1977

Let me ask this, when you use mysqli to make a connection to database it starts a session. would I need to add session start to every page including the ones that include the connection file?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Even though it starts the session, it will close it when it thinks it is done. You can access and view session variables after the session is closed, but you can't store or update them.

Whenever you are storing or updating a session variable you should add a line to make sure the session is started above it:
@session_start()

You should probably also close the session once you are done for efficiency particularly if you are using AJAX on your site:
session_commit();

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...