close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Mapping multiple customer location points via database. XML file randomly corrupted.

Thread began 1/12/2016 9:59 am by TroyD | Last modified 1/21/2016 5:32 pm by Ray Borduin | 2915 views | 15 replies |

TroyD

Mapping multiple customer location points via database. XML file randomly corrupted.

I've done this before without any issue but never with the v3 API and the current Pro Maps (Using current version of DE).

First, let me check to see if this is even possible now, in v3?
I need to show about 800 points on a map for customers based on City, State, Zip Code and Country. (I don't want to display customer's street address).

My query is pretty simple pulling all the above columns and then GROUP BY zip so that there are no duplicates.

The map is created using the "Show Multiple" checked and recordset selected. I bind the city, state, zip and country. (I tested also binding the street address with the same results). The street just has [Address] added to the box, by default.
There is also a single static address added as the default address of the business.

The results are as follows.
-The _promaps_geocache.xml file is created on the first refresh of the map page.
-A few points are added each time you refresh. About 10 points at a time.
-Once it reaches around 50 - 100 points, the _promaps_geocache.xml file is wiped on one of the refreshes.
-In some cases, it doesn't clear the _promaps_geocache.xml file but instead corrupts the syntax, either adding an additional closing tag or a pattern such as a>>>>>>>>a> or similar.

Here is an example of the geocode generated (I removed all but one address to save space here).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<geocode_data version="1.0">
<geocode_entry ID="[Address] Las Vegas NV 89110 United States"><address>[Address], Las Vegas, NV, 89110, United States</address><geocode>(36.1678611, -115.04066790000002)</geocode></geocode_entry>
</geocode_data>

I have sifted through the address in the database looking for any entry errors. Everything looks clean but there is no way to tell if a zip code was entered incorrectly or which one. It's very difficult to know if this is caused by a bad zip code or not. Is this something that would cause it?

I don't receive any errors in firebug other than on the first refresh where it says it can't find the _promaps_geocache.xml file since it hasn't been created at that point. Refreshing again eliminates that error.

Right now, this is on a local server or I would include a link. Let me know if need more information and I will provide it here.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have,
TroyD

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Can I see a copy of your page:

webassist/google_javascript/promaps_geocache_php.php

We have updated that file recently and if you have an older version that may be the issue.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

TroyD

Thanks Ray. Here you go.

Attached Files
promaps_geocache_php.php.zip

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This file looks good. I'll need a url to reproduce to test it and figure out why this is happening. Can you upload it to a live server so I can do some testing? I may need FTP access to fully debug.

TroyD

Will do. It might be tomorrow before I have that ready but I will let you know when I have it online.

In the meantime, I am verifying a large number of the city, state and zip codes so that I can be sure the issue isn't caused by poorly entered addresses.

Thanks,
TroyD

TroyD

Ray,

I have the test files uploaded to one of my spare domains. I'm still getting the same results even after making sure all zip codes were verified.
The first 1-4 refreshes will correctly create the .xml file and then add to it but eventually you will see that it will either clear the file completely or it will corrupt it with incomplete xml tags. Hopefully you will see why it's happening.

Please see PM for details.

Thanks,
TroyD

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I made some updates to the files to optimize it for large data sets.

I'll be updating Design Extender to create the proper code automatically if you install the latest build.

For now, download the webassist/google_javascript folder for your records to get my updates.

TroyD

Thanks Ray. I looked at the test map and it looks great. I see lots of changes to the other files and I really appreciate you taking care of this.
So, if I download the same version of DE (1.2.1), that build has the changes in it? Or am I suppose to wait on the next dot release?

Also, please see PM.

Thanks
TroyD

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Yes it is updated in the latest build so you can download and install to get the updates.

TroyD

Ray,

Something isn't working correctly to generate the .xml file or add any data to it.

I removed the extensions and reinstalled the new build.
Then I created a new map. All new page and files were generated. It didn't create the _promaps_cache folder or the _promaps_geocache.xml file. So I created the directory with (755 permissions) and the file with (644) and uploaded them.

Still no data added.
So I then added the xml tags to the file.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<geocode_data version="1.0">
</geocode_data>

Again nothing. Something is preventing it from creating the file and nothing will write to it once it's created manually. Not sure why.

I have not tried to delete the xml file from the test site you worked on, to see if it would be regenerated. Should I?

Thanks,
TroyD

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...