close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Fixed Delivery Charge Problem

Thread began 9/02/2009 1:45 am by anitah355532 | Last modified 9/05/2009 4:27 pm by anitah355532 | 4463 views | 11 replies |

anitah355532

Fixed Delivery Charge Problem

I've created a powerstore site for an Australian client and cannot set it up with your American shipping providers. Instead I have set up fixed rates using eCart (which I also purchased because I needed powerstore to be functional outside of the US).

I created a drop down list on the cart page, and the calculation is done in eCart Charges based on a session variable.

So far, so good. The selection of the delivery location adds the correct amount to the cart total in the charges area. The customer clicks on checkout button, then the paypal button is pressed and paypal details are confirmed. The customer is then taken back to the powerstore site "order confirmation" page.

This is where the problem is. The order confirmation total is not the same as the cart total. The charges always default to the highest shipping amount of $20, even if they selected the "free pick up" option.

Can you please let me know how I can correct this problem?

Or, if you've got a better solution for setting up fixed delivery charges in Powerstore (using eCart) I'd happily change the rather clunky way I have it set up now!

It's a concern because at the moment my client is having to reimburse her customers the difference.

My test site is at voyagermoon
The live site is at www.voyagermoon.com.au

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Did you implement this on the charges tab of eCart or on the shipping tab of eCart?

You should set it up on the shipping tab.

Create a new rule using the trigger "Total number Of Unique Items"

Set the calculation to use "Based on Multiple of columns Subtotal"
Subtotal of column [Quantity] [times] [2] [plus][0]

to charge 2 dollars per item.

anitah355532

Thanks Jason. I have set it up using charges tab of eCart, but can change it to shipping instead if that works better.

Your rule and calculation is not quite what I need, as I have to account for locations and quantity. I guess that's by using session variables, right?

Here's the shipping costs:

Australia - 1 item = $7
Australia - 2 or more items = $10
New Zealand - 1 item = $12
New Zealand - 2 or more items = $20
International - 1 item = $20
International - 2 or more items = $35
Local pick up = $0

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, eCart creates a session variable for the sipping country:
$_SESSION["eCartCheckoutForm_country"]

you would also need to create a session variable for the Local pickup, then create a shipping charge for each scenario:

for example assuming the local pickup sesion variable is set to 1 or 0:
Australia 1 item
triggers:
Subtotal for any column - "if the subtotal of column [quantity] is [=] a value of [1]

AND
Session variable Exists - "Session variable name [eCartCheckoutForm_country]

AND
Session variable Exists - "Session variable name [localPickup]

AND
Session variable Value - "If the value of session variable [eCartCheckoutForm_country] is [=] a value of [AU]

AND
Session variable Value - "If the value of session variable [localPickup] is [=] a value of [1]

Charge:
Flat rate of 7
-----
Australia 2 0r more item
triggers:
Subtotal for any column - "if the subtotal of column [quantity] is [>] a value of [1]

AND
Session variable Exists - "Session variable name [eCartCheckoutForm_country]

AND
Session variable Exists - "Session variable name [localPickup]

AND
Session variable Value - "If the value of session variable [eCartCheckoutForm_country] is [=] a value of [AU]

AND
Session variable Value - "If the value of session variable [localPickup] is [=] a value of [1]

Charge:
Flat rate of 10

You would need to create similar rules for the other scenarios.

For the international rule you will need to add checks on the eCartCheckoutForm_country variable not equal to AU and Not equal to NZ

anitah355532

You have said ....

Yes, eCart creates a session variable for the shipping country:
$_SESSION["eCartCheckoutForm_country"]

.... but this appears to only be the case if the user pays by credit card and fills in their delivery address on the checkout form, which if you look at my site, is not an option.

If they pay by Paypal there is nowhere for them to select the country, and therefore have a shipping charge added to their total.

I just not getting this at all.

At checkout, the choices given to the customer are:
Fast, Secure Checkout with PayPal
or Pay by Credit Card (not an option on my site)

At what part of the process, if someone pays with Paypal, does the customer select the country?

I appreciate that Powerstore is only set up to work with automated US postage, but I purchased eCart to get around this problem.

Could you please have a quick look at my site to see how I've set it up? : www.voyagermoon.com.au - and correct me if the general concept is wrong.

Thanks for your time.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

When you purchase by Express checkout, tha tsession variable is set when the user comes back to the pp_confirm page to confirm the order, shipping will be set once they get to the pp_confirm page.

anitah355532

Thanks again Jason. I think I'm getting it.

The order summary and total on the cart.php will not include any shipping charge.

The customer then goes to paypal by clicking the checkout button and confirms their account details.

They are then redirected to the order confirmation page which shows the shipping charge, determined by what the delivery address is in the purchaser's Paypal account.

Therefore the total on the cart page and the total on the confirm page are two different amounts.

Have I got the general concept right now?

anitah355532

I've removed the purchaser drop down select box for delivery and I've set up Australia and New Zealand in eCart Shipping as per your instructions.

Sorry, but I'm still confused about the local pickup and international.

Can you please tell me what the trigger and value settings are for the session variable for the Local pickup. And am I right in assuming that this will require a checkbox to be selected by the customer?

And, can you please explain how I add the checks on the eCartCheckoutForm_country variable not equal to AU and Not equal to NZ ?

Perhaps I can avoid all this pain. Is it possible to set Powerstore up with an Australian post/courier firm (like your UPS, FedEx, etc)?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

On the pp_confirm page, you will need to add a new form with a select list:

[html]
<select name="delivery">
<option value="0">Shipped</option>
<option value="1">Local pickup</option>
</seelect>
[html]

the form should be set to post to itself.

hen adding the set session value server behavior, click the lightning bolt next to trigger and Value and select the delivery form element.

What I meant by the additional checks for the international shipping was additional triggers:
AND
Session variable Value - "If the value of session variable [eCartCheckoutForm_country] is [<>] a value of [AU]

AND
Session variable Value - "If the value of session variable [eCartCheckoutForm_country] is [<>] a value of [NZ]

eCart has support for Australia post. You could use eCart to add in Australia post.

anitah355532

Trying to figure all this out ....

.... but there is no [<>] option in eCart
I did wonder what the sign was for "not equal to"

and I am such a beginner here that I don't even know if the brackets around [eCartCheckoutForm_country] are meant to be included in the eCart box or not.

Jason - thanks for helping me work through this. It would be helpful to get an answer to my question above about whether I get the general concept though. If I have an overview of how this works I can then nut my way through the solutions.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...