close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Only shipping charge is processed

Thread began 11/23/2015 8:50 am by jlowery | Last modified 11/24/2015 8:46 pm by Ray Borduin | 1907 views | 10 replies |

jlowery

Only shipping charge is processed

Weird thing happened twice in the last week with one of my eCart sites. I have an add-on shipping charge rule for any state west of the Mississippi. It's been set-up properly and working for years without an issue. However, twice in the past week, orders have gone through (local checkout using Authorize.net) where only the $3 surcharge was recorded and processed. We've had to call the customers to see what they actually ordered. I'm trying to replicate the problem and see what I can figure out, but so far no luck. Do you know of any conditions under which something like this could occur?

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I don't know why that would happen. How did you set up the rule? What conditions did you use?

The first step in debugging any issue is reproducing it. If you can't do that, then you couldn't test to see if any attempted fix works and you are basically shooting blind.

If you attach a copy of the ecart object file I can take a look at the charge rule to see if I can spot a hole.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

jlowery

I originally set it up via the eCart object under the Charge tab with the rule name WestoftheMississippi where if a session variable, toTheWest, was true, add $3. Then, on the confirmation page, I set up a series of If statements that said, for example, if the shippingState was CA, toTheWest was true. This routine starts on line 387 of confirm.php (attached).

Here's the eCart object file. I notice that when I display the eCart object in DW, the charge is no longer shown, although it's in the code (line 157). I know I had to uninstall and later re-install eCart, so maybe something happened at that point?

I haven't been able to replicate the problem yet unfortunately. Trying to get more details on the orders to see if there is a particular detail I'm missing.

Thanks for your help, Ray.

Best - Joe

Attached Files
confirm.php
muirhead_PHP.php

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You mean it processed as an empty cart and only had the shipping charge?

What is the web site url? Is it possible that they had used http://www.yoursite.com or http://yoursite.com and only one or the other works? The inclusion or omission of the www. in the url could cause that issue if when you redirect to the https:// version of the page it uses the opposite.

The solution is to force www. or remove the www. for consistency using the .htaccess file (if that is indeed the issue).

jlowery

Yes, only the $3 charge processed. The URL is https://muirheadfoods.com - I do have it set up to drop the www if someone enters the URL with it. Anything else come to mind?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Maybe the session is timing out... if they spend more than 20 minutes on the page?

You could try extending the session timeout and/or adding a "redirect if cart is empty" so that they can't checkout if the cart is emptied out.

jlowery

Could a timeout result in letting just the shipping charge through? If so, that sounds like a possible scenario. We've had tons of orders like this and these are the only two with this result.

Could I attach a "redirect if cart is empty" server behavior to the checkout button?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Yes I think that would explain it. Since the shipping charge is just based on the state selection and that would submit from the form and be reset even after the session expired.

I would just add teh redirect if empty to the confirm page before the checkout process. That is the page the payment button submits to and should do the trick.

jlowery

Sounds good. I think I should also increase the timeout as well. How do I do that for the cart?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can set the value of session.gc_maxlifetime in your php.ini file... the value is set in seconds.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...