close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Email not received

Thread began 9/01/2009 12:28 am by steve361520 | Last modified 9/14/2009 2:00 pm by Jason Byrnes | 9069 views | 21 replies |

steve361520

Email not received

Hi,

The form is processed and the user sent to the thankyou.php page, but I do not receive any emails. All files and folders are present and adding the code to my pages was easy, therefore I think its a Global file issue.

I havent made any changes to the code on contactus.php, but have changed 'mydomain' below to my domain, if you follow.

WA_Globals.php looks like this:

<?php
$WAGLOBAL_Captcha_Width = "200" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Captcha_Height = "40" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Captcha_Characters = "5" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Captcha_Font = "Fonts/MOM_T___.TTF" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Captcha_BG = "C0C0C0" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Captcha_Noise = "FF0000" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Captcha_Text = "000000" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Captcha_BG_transparent = "0" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Email_Server = "smtp.mydomain.com" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Contact_Email_Subject = "Contact Form Response" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Contact_Email_To = "support@mydomain.com" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Contact_Email_CC = "" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Contact_Email_BCC = "" ;
?>

Two unrelated questions -

1. can I change the folder name ContactForm_GMC - would I need to change any paths if I did?

2. can I change the file names contactus.php and thankyou.php - would I need to change any paths if I did?

many thanks
Steve

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

Most of the time when I see issues with receiving the email it is due to email server settings. Is your SMTP server local to your web server? If so you can try leaving this value blank in the globals file:

$WAGLOBAL_Email_Server = "" ;

As far as changing the names you will not need to do anything for the name of the folder, you can call this what you want. If you update the file names you should make sure to do a find and replace in all of the contact form pages to ensure that the name of the page gets updated anywhere it is referenced.

steve361520

Hi Eric,

>>Is your SMTP server local to your web server?<<

Not sure what you mean? The site is live, on shared linux hosting, both web and email are provided by the same host.

I've tried leaving this blank: $WAGLOBAL_Email_Server = "" ;

still will not work.

Thanks
Steve

steve361520

oh...

two things I did change, but I think are unrelated

1. contactup.php - UTF-8 to:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

2. thankyou.php - Strict to:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

I would post the url, but I do not have permission from my boss.

Thanks
Steve

steve361520

This is the right place to come for support isn't it, at least thats what sales@ told me?

Thanks
Steve

Eric Mittman

What I mean by the local SMTP is if the mail server is running on the same domain as your hosted account. If it is then leaving it blank may help but if you are getting the same result then this is probably not the case. You should check with your host to see if there are any entries for the SMTP server from your scripts, there should be some info about any failed attempts.

I don't think the changes you made should affect the mail from being sent, but the new encoding you are using may have some effect. Have you tried it with the encoding left to UTF-8? Please check the logs and try this with UTF-8, if you cannot get it working we can move on to some other debugging techniques.

steve361520

Hi,

My host doesn't save the logs, at least thats what they told me anyway.

I've tried everything I can possibly think of, and changing the encoding back to the original text, none of which makes any difference, as expected.

This seems like a rather long-winded exercise to achieve something so simple – form to email. The supporting PDF, which is practically non-existent, implies only two lines need modifying to make this work i.e. input your email address and smtp mail server address. Sounds easy, well, its obviously not that easy.

Steve

steve361520

Hi again,

Should mention this, though I think its unimportant. When I 'view source' of contactus.php live on the web the php code above the doc type tag is not visable. Is that correct?

Thanks
Steve

John LangerBeta Tester

Originally Said By: steve361520
  Hi again,

Should mention this, though I think its unimportant. When I 'view source' of contactus.php live on the web the php code above the doc type tag is not visable. Is that correct?

Thanks
Steve  

Yes that is correct. The server acts upon the PHP code and renders it (where appropriate) as HTML. If no HTML is rendered then it shows nothing in "View source"

So

<?php echo "Hello World"; ?>

would just show as plain "Hello World" without the PHP code. This is true whether it's above or below the doc type tag. Although you wouldn't, of course, have my example outside of the body tag but the principle is the same.

steve361520

Thanks John, btw the hosting link on your home page doesn't work, hth.

Can anyone recommend a script or solution thats reasonably easy to set-up and includes a captcha?

Thanks
Steve

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...