close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Power CMS running home to Web Assist

Thread began 8/03/2015 10:46 am by m79618373377 | Last modified 8/05/2015 1:08 pm by Ray Borduin | 2605 views | 8 replies |

m79618373377

Power CMS running home to Web Assist

Hi,

A lot of today the Web Assist website has been down, with the quite often bad gateway execution error, which I seem to have the bad luck of often seeing.

My websites that use the most recent version of Power CMS then take about 10-15 seconds to resolve whenever the Web Assist website is unavailable or on a go slow. In effect, when I type in the URL or click on any link that uses Power CMS the page takes forever to load. However, I have noted as soon as the Web Assist website is available without any delay then my sites load fine.

I have also noted on older websites that use an older version they normally work fine whether Web Assist website is up or down. From this I have concluded newer versions of Power CMS run home every time a page is loaded that contains Power CMS. If this is the case, I can quite understand the need for authentication in this day and age of rife piracy, but leaves me totally dependent on Web Assist's server working.

I'd like to hope my conclusions are wrong, but it does seem more than a coincidence that I have spent most of the day with a client not pleased their website is hopelessly slow coinciding with the Web Assist site being unavailable. However, as soon as the Web Assist site is back my websites are instantly responsive.

I'd like to have more information about this as it definitely will make me think in the future of when I use the CMS. I can tolerate the Power CMS admin being unresponsive in these situations but the website itself being unresponsive or extremely slow really is not an option in the majority of cases.

Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Once activated, it should only be checking the webassist site once per month. If you provide ftp information and a URL for the site you are experiencing this problem on I can test it it make sure it isn't improperly activating more than it should.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

m79618373377

Thanks Ray, is it safe enough to send all these details as a private message?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Yes, private messages are only viewable to webassist employees and are stored encrypted in our database. It is safer than email.

Of course nothing is perfectly safe, but this is one of the safer forms of communication of sensitive data.

m79618373377

Hi Ray,

Thanks for this.

See my private message.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It was a permissions problem with the file: Connections/installed_cms.txt

That is the file it uses to keep track of the last activation date so that it will only run once per month. That file was updated recently to not have write access, so it couldn't record the fact that it had already activated and it was trying to re-activate with each visit to the site.

I updated the permissions on that file and it appears to be working correctly now. You can try doing the same for other sites. If you open that file and the last date listed isn't from this month it means there was an issue and it isn't working correctly.

m79618373377

Hi Ray,

Thanks for this much appreciated. However I have tried changing the permissions on the file on the other website and it still won't update. I assume there is something else wrong or different with this one. I'd appreciate it if you can have a look at this. See my private message for details.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

On that site you didn't have a valid serial number entered in the admin settings. I entered your serial and it updated.

m79618373377

To be honest I have no idea why there was not a valid serial number in the admin settings as I thought I had entered the relevant details correctly. Furthermore, it surprises me the CMS even works without one! Anyhow, thanks Ray much appreciated.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...