close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Error message when viewing php form page

Thread began 8/31/2009 11:50 am by donna387432 | Last modified 9/08/2009 1:50 pm by Jason Byrnes | 3525 views | 7 replies |

donna387432

Error message when viewing php form page

I just purchased Form Builder and have put together a very simple secure log in form and inserted it into my page. I am using DW CS4 as my editor and i know that my server supports PHP (although I do not know how to use PHP).

Form Builder markets itself that the user doesn't need to be a programmer, and makes forms very simple. However, we have found that it does not include any explanation on what type of PHP docs you need on your server in addition to the form itself in order for it to work successfully. So I have just done the one thing it does suggest which is to submit my form to itself. It sounds like the file (or page) that holds the form should be a PHP doc, instead of "html" extension - is this correct?

When I started out, my page was saved as an html file, and i could view the form in the page when uploaded to server. Now I've changed the file to a PHP doc (for reasons above) and cannot view it in a browser - I get the following error message:

(Browser Message)
-----
"Fatal error: Call to undefined function: virtual() in /home/content/y/d/o/ydojnojmmm/html/investlogin.php on line 1"
-----

The code on line 1 was put in automatically by Form Builder. For reference, the first few lines of code (in DW) are as follows:
-----
1 <?php virtual("/WA_ValidationToolkit/WAVT_Scripts_PHP.php"); ?>
2 <?php virtual("/WA_ValidationToolkit/WAVT_ValidatedForm_PHP.php"); ?>
3 null
4 null
5 null
6 null
7 undefined
8 undefined
9 <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
10 <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
-----

Hopefully I've been detailed enough to start out here.
I would really appreciate anyone's help!
thanks,
Anna

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Try changing:
<?php virtual("/WA_ValidationToolkit/WAVT_Scripts_PHP.php"); ?>
2 <?php virtual("/WA_ValidationToolkit/WAVT_ValidatedForm_PHP.php"); ?>

to:
<?php require_once("WA_ValidationToolkit/WAVT_Scripts_PHP.php"); ?>
2 <?php require_once("WA_ValidationToolkit/WAVT_ValidatedForm_PHP.php"); ?>

Dreamweaver will use virtual() instead of require_once() if the Create Links Relative To option is set to Site. Before running form builder, try changing that to Document,

donna387432

Do I need another php file? / No preview available in FB

thanks - replacing the first 2 lines of code did the trick. That leads me to a few more questions:

1) I'm wondering why the Form Builder would create code that is incorrect? is this a common issue?

2) I still need an answer to my other very basic question from original email - Do I need an additional php file on my server to make the 'secure login' form work? how does a form "submit to itself?"

3) Why can't I see anything in the "preview" window when i'm in the Form Builder dialog window? I'm trying to see what the pre-formatted styles look like but I get nothing, even when I select "Apply."

Looking forward to a response,
Anna

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) Dreamweaver will use virtual() instead of require_once() if the Create Links Relative To option is set to Site. Before running form builder, try changing that to Document,

2) CSS Form Builder will Create the CSS Form. You will need to add the functionality using SecurityAssist or Dreamweaver's Authenticate user Behavior to make the forms created by form builder function.

3) Is the Preview turned off? Go to Edit -> WebAssist Preferences. In the preview section check then uncheck the disable preview option and click OK.

donna387432

re: Error message when viewing php form page

Thanks for your response Jason.

1+2) I'll try that.

3) I checked in preferences and Preview is not turned off. What else could it be?

4) And another question: Why does FB erase all style info on the Captcha element every time I go in to style the form? I have to redo it every time, even if the only change i wanted to make was on a different element.

thanks again,
Anna

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

3) Can you click on the preview window and have the preview open in a browser window?

What is the address in the address bar when you try this?

4) How are you applying the style? In the Design section of Form Builder? I am not able to reproduce a problem with styles I apply to the captcha element in the design section of form builder, when I reenter the wizard using the Edit form or Edit Design controls in the property inspector, the previous changes are retained.

donna387432

re: Error message when viewing php form page

Thank you Jason. I still cannot view anything in the preview window but i CAN view it through the browser if i click in the preview window area. That's definitely better than not at all.

I applied the style in the Design section of Form Builder but every time i re-enter to adjust something, my previous changes to the Captcha element are cleared. Thankfully, it looks like it's holding the other changes. Any other suggestions?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket to look into this issue. To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...