close ad
WARNING: Do Not Install the DREAMWEAVER CC 2017 or 2018 Update »
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

'Column 'Category' in where clause is ambiguos' breaks my page

Thread began 7/13/2015 12:13 pm by Charles | Last modified 7/14/2015 6:14 pm by Ray Borduin | 674 views | 4 replies |

Charles

'Column 'Category' in where clause is ambiguos' breaks my page

I was trying to make products_search.php work and I broke products_results.php. I get the following error when I enter a known Category 'Boulders' at http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/products_search.php and when I use the Products dropdown - http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/products_results.php?Category_ID=6
When I uploaded products_search.php to my testing server, I clicked 'yes' to move dependent files. Now my products_results.php on my testing server when accessed thru the dropdown menu is giving me the same 'Column 'Category' in where clause is ambiguous' message. I restored the working file but still same problem. I did not upload dependent files to the remote/live site but I did just upload products_search.php by itself to see how it acted there and same thing! dropdown product/category search still is broken there. http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/products_results.php?Category_ID=6 . I'm hoping the answer to the error for search will allow me to fix whatever is screwing up products_results. Couldn't see what else could have changed in that I only uploaded products_search to live server to muck up the product_results page.Help please.

Attached Files
products_results.php
products_search.php
Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Try updating line 21 to:

$WADbSearch1->addComparisonFromEdit("category.Category","Category","AND","Includes",0);

Since you have a column named Category in your products table as well as your categories table it can't determine which table you are trying to search.

In reality you should consider removing the Category column from your products table entirely, since you have a CategoryID column you join on it will be enough to get the category name from your categories table and it is a good idea to not store redundant data like that.

I'd also suggest in the future to make sure your column names are unique even across tables. That way you won't have to worry about ambiguous column names in your query moving forward.

Sign in to reply to this post

Charles

Now this is interesting. I made no changes as I was finished for day when I got your reply above.The following strange behaviors occur:
1> I checked the site 1st thing and http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/products_results.php?Category_ID=6 came up fine on both testing and remote servers.
2> However, when I did a Search using products_search.php, I got 'No Results.'
3> Then when I went back and tried http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/products_results.php?Category_ID=6 again, I get 'No Results'
4> I Go back to Search and enter Category - 'Boulders' - still get 'No Results' but now http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/products_results.php?Category_ID=6 which is 'Boulders' works again but 'Gardenrock bags' which is http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/products_results.php?Category_ID=32 does not - gives me 'No Results'
5> I go back to Search and enter Category - 'Gardenrock Bags' - - still get 'No Results' but now http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/products_results.php?Category_ID=32 which is 'Gardenrock Bags'' works again but 'Boulders which is http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/products_results.php?Category_ID=6 does not now - gives me 'No Results'
6> I made the Code change you suggested and still get same results above.
7> I removed 'Category' from the Products table and it totally broke the pages so I put it back
Looks like the act of using products_search is caching something that negatively affects using the Products dropdown to select Categories via products_results.php
Any clues here that might suggest a solution to you?
FYI - I removed products_results.php from my live server as I have an interested party reviewing the Product pages and I can't afford to have it behaving irratically. But I attach the latest products_search.php here if it helps.

Attached Files
products_search.php
Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Can you upload a copy of the broken pages (rename them so they won't interfere with your site). And then I'll need FTP information to fully debug them.

Sign in to reply to this post

Charles

See private message.

Sign in to reply to this post

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...