close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Doing a calculation based on the entries made by a user in two seperate form fields - possible?

Thread began 5/13/2015 9:41 am by Nathon Jones Web Design | Last modified 5/20/2015 1:28 pm by Ray Borduin | 2251 views | 5 replies |

Nathon Jones Web Design

Doing a calculation based on the entries made by a user in two seperate form fields - possible?

My client has asked for a form where the user selects values from a drop down menu. Those values have a monetary value, for example

Rental Fee:
<input type="text" value"350">

Number of Pets:
<select>
<option value="1">1</option>
<option value="2">2</option>
</select>

Insurance Required:
<select>
<option value="1">Yes</option>
<option value="0">No</option>
</select>

Pets are charged at £15.00 each and the insurance is £16.00 so, in the above example, if a user selects 2 pets and insurance I need it to add £46.00 (2 x £15.00 and 1 x £16.00) to the Rental Fee value (£350).

Is this possible via validation? Show If?

Would appreciate your advice. Thank you.
NJ

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Validation is just used to force a selection and not do calculations.

The eCart has calculation options. Are you adding the items into a cart? The cart could do the calculations and show a total. If you want to show it on the page as the selections change, you would probably have to do the calculations and updates manually using javascript. We could help with that in a premier support ticket.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Nathon Jones Web Design

If we have a confirmation page that displays the form values, for example:

<?php echo((isset($_POST["formPETS"]))?$_POST["formPETS"]:"") ?>

...is it possible to do a calculation using PHP without involving eCart? So the person fills in the form, submits it, and are then shown a result page which has taken the values from the form and perform calculations on them in order to present a value?

So, if the above formPETS field was submitted as "2", which each pet costing £15.00 for example, a calculation along these lines would be done on the results page:

<?php echo((isset($_POST["formPETS"]))?$_POST["formPETS"]:"") ?> x 15

I knew how to do this in Classic ASP but PHP confuses the hell out of me when it comes to things like this.
Would appreciate any advice you could offer. Thank you.
NJ

Ray BorduinWebAssist

<?php echo((isset($_POST["formPETS"]))?floatval($_POST["formPETS"])*15:"0") ?>

Nathon Jones Web Design

Also related to this type of thing, how do you display the validated field OR a default value?

For example, I want to display the validated entry if the form has been submitted and has failed validation on another field or, if it hasn't yet been submitted, a default numerical value. This doesn't work, nor anything else like it that I've tried...

<?php echo(ValidatedField("thankyou_166","formPETS"):"0") ?>

Hope you can help as this is all that's outstanding on a particular page I'm working on.
Thank you.
NJ

Ray BorduinWebAssist

<?php echo(ValidatedField("thankyou_166","formPETS")?ValidatedField("thankyou_166","formPETS"):"0") ?>

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...