close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Google Search in the Free Tools.

Thread began 3/24/2015 10:18 am by Paul | Last modified 3/30/2015 9:11 am by Jason Byrnes | 2107 views | 9 replies |

Paul

Google Search in the Free Tools.

Does the Google Search in the Free Tools, have the ability to pull from a MySQL database? Or do I need to build my own search functionality from DataAssist?

I followed the tutorial and installed it on a test page and searched by a date. No results showed up.

Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, Google search cannot search your Database.

the point of google search is that it uses the Google search engine, it is akin to going to google and doing a search for your domain, except that it presents the google results on your web page.

to search your database, you need to use Data Bridge.

Paul

Thanks, Jason...

Has it gotten any easier in Data Bridge to make search and results pages? :-)

Is there a new tutorial?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Creating a search / results page using data Bridge is the same as it ever was.

see this tutorial:
http://www.webassist.com/tutorials/Create-a-search-page-that-displays-filtered-results

Paul

Thanks, Jason...I've used that tutorial before, but I am not searching for a group of products with categories, just dates of events.

I want to return results based on the date, not the date range. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I'm trying to do this by myself but keep stumbling.

My search comparison type is: Exact Match
Exact Match Search by Column: Date
Column type is: Date
New form field is: DateSearch and TEXT

The date field is formatted as: yyyy-mm-dd

I have the pages completed and they are working, but not showing any results. Do I have to have the person searching enter the date as yyyy-mm-dd? Would rather be able to search by Month Day, or even by selecting from a calendar view. But, if this is correct, how come I don't have any results?

See PM

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Where you set the column type to date, it causes DB Search to reformat the date you enter to the yyyy-mm-dd hh:ii:ss format, so:
2014-11-07

becomes:
2014-11-07 00:00:00

which won't match your dates that don't have the hh:ii:ss information.

i changed the data type to text to fix the search.

Paul

Appreciate that Jason...

It works great...is there any way without screwing up the programming for the rest of the site, to be able to enter a date like: March 28, instead of yyyy-mm-dd?

Thanks again!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you mean in the search form right?

yes, you could do that, but on the results page, you need to add code to reformat the date. your search form has the date field named "DateSearch"

so add the following code at line 1 to reformat the date to use the yyyy-mm-dd format:

<?php
if(isset($_POST['DateSearch'])) {
$_POST['DateSearch'] = date("Y-m-d", strtotime($_POST['DateSearch']));
}
?>

Paul

Jason,

For some reason, all webassist email is going into junk folder. Not sure why, I've added the domain to safe-senders.

Anyway, I did mean in the Search Form, yes. And you want me to paste the above code, above line 1 on the results.php page? Here is line 1:

<?php require_once('../Connections/connConejo.php'); ?>

And this new code will allow a person to enter in the search box: March 28 instead of 2015-03-28?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I can't say why tour system is flagging mail form web assist as junk mail, it could be any number of things form a setting in your email system to a setting on the pop server that is used for incoming mail.

Yes, the code would go on line 1 of the page.

it would work as long as the user added the year:
March 28 2015

that would be converted to:
2015-03-28

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...