close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Return address (actual) - where to insert

Thread began 2/02/2015 11:09 am by david_allen | Last modified 2/12/2015 3:39 pm by david_allen | 2679 views | 22 replies |

david_allen

Return address (actual) - where to insert

I've got email working on the form. Hallelujah - as usual, so appreciate the fine tools. (This is a messy one; took digging into a number of places, including the archive of posts up here.)

Question:

At post # 24263

http://www.webassist.com/forums/posts.php?id=24263

Jason, you indicate that - after putting in the necessary spoofed From address (to comply with ISP restrictions) - it is possible also to insert the dynamic From (i.e., the actual sender from address), into a Return Address field.

I have searched high and low, but not succeeded to find said Return Address field, either in Insert Form or in Universal Email.

Have things changed since the date of the above post? Or, is that field available?

Much thanks as always, David

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the Universal Email behavior, click the From button to access Advanced From settings. there is setting for Replay To Address that you can use the dynamic binding for.

david_allen

Thanks, Jason, right on.

Now a problem blocking progress:

The form is up, with all the settings, after much diligence, such as above. The email setup tested on a simpler form, no captcha, with repeated success.

The page is stuck on the captcha. Though the captcha is entered correctly - now, many times - the page only returns, with a new captcha, most of the entries filled as previously. But no email sent.

The page is here.

http://reglinknews.com/reglink_free_trial.php

Will so the appreciate help, been at this one a long while. (Perhaps this needs to be in a captcha queue, now?)

Additional info:

Following session naming indicated at

http://www.webassist.com/forums/posts.php?id=18145

I checked. Those appear to be correct (i.e., captcha_captcha, in this case).

Further:

I am getting no error messages, when required fields are not filled out.

Now I discover.

Trying to put up just a simple test form, with only one other item on it: With that form, I can now get error messages. But it still will not accept correct captcha's, instead simply reloads the page, as above.

David

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I'll need to troubleshoot directly, see the private message section.

david_allen

See PM.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Ok, the issue wit the validations not showing was a script code block was in the wrong place, it was in the head, and I moved it to the body after the form.

The issue wit the form not submitting was not the captcha, it was the validation type that was set for the street_1 form element, it was set to Email validation, I changed it to required instead, the form should now be working.

david_allen

So grateful, Jason - thanks!

Will immediately of course Get the corrected file, now.

Question (not a small one): Since I used all, and only, the tools provided - did not myself modify the code - what is good practice for the future? Of course, I would like to learn the moves that fixed it this time, but that will be for a little later down the road. Hence the question, good practice going forward at the moment?

For example, the custom Presets preserve most of the settings - but not all. The errant Email validation on street_1 is a current case in point. I have made this page at least eight times now, probably several more than that. I exhaustively go through all the settings each time. But a few of them - the validation type is a repeat case, every time - are always incorrect. Despite having 'overwritten' the Preset file when last corrected. I reset the errors naturally, but of course I do not know what code actually writes to the page.

Is there some way to edit the Preset file, so that it is 'solid' and not in error? Of course a page like this has _many_ such settings, so not a small thing to keep straight. (Nor to check each and every time the Preset is used to recreate the form … Incidentally, I do not overwrite an existing form; I always start fresh. Including, I delete the special CSS file the machinery generates, so that it is also fresh.)

Also probably worth knowing: DW (in my case CC 2014.1 release, on Mac 10.8.5) regularly crashes, when making the form. Probably restarted 15 or 20 times, since I have been at this one. Typically crashes when trying to write the file, but sometimes before. (I do regularly get rid of the .dat file, in Configuration, to prevent difficulty on that front.)

Obviously life would be a good bit better if that were not the case.

Again, I am so very appreciative. Let me get at the file now, hopefully to have it solid going forward. And on to the next form I have to create here (hence among others, the question about good practice going forward).

Thanks, David

david_allen

PM please.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Let's set up a time to look into this with you directly. I'd like to see the preset issue and debug the email issue to make sure they get resolved and since there are a couple of things going on here I believe it will be quicker to do screen sharing and talk rather than working through it on the forums.

What does your schedule look like Thursday or Friday? Please post a good time and phone number in the private area and we can schedule a call.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

david_allen

Thanks so much, Ray. Much appreciated. Now to the PM.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...