close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

send email not working

Thread began 1/14/2015 11:07 am by randyrie405335 | Last modified 1/23/2015 8:11 am by Jason Byrnes | 2999 views | 15 replies |

randyrie405335

send email not working

I'm including a Universal Email on a data insert form - the database gets updated but the email does not get sent. Another webpage that uses the Universal Email alone works fine. I'm attaching the webpage in question for your review. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

i don't see an obvious problem.

add the following code near the closing </body> tag to write the session contents:

<pre><?php var_dump($_SESSION); ?></pre>

the session will contain the status of handing the email to the SMTP server

randyrie405335

FRUSTRATED - Universal Email, Server Validations, Insert Record will not always work together

iMAC late 2009, OSX 10.9.5, PHP 5.4.30, MySQL 5.6, DWCS6

Frustrated rant follows... Using legacy Dreamweaver CS6 with your MySQLi server behaviors and the DataBridge extensions are killing me.

I've been 'messing' with this page for nearly three days trying to use several Webassist extensions but am running into difficulties: I can get the insert record to work but when I struggle to get the server validations to finally work (after some study), the insert record fails wihout errors or warning. I am also struggling to get the Universal email to work but have not been successful. Upload files seems to continue to work. The frustrations are from user interfaces I do not fully comprehend that require study and frequently consulting help - and sometimes I just touch something on the page (re: abstracts.php uploaded yesterday) and something else breaks.

I am beginning to believe the patching between legacy Dreamweaver CS6, MySQLi (v1.0.3) and DataBridge (v1.2.1) is causing me a lot of functional inconsistencies. Also, may I suggest that simplifying the input screens so non-programmers are prompted to fill-in minimal information with minimal variations and place the advanced configurations under separate screens would reduce misunderstanding as a possible cause of failure and greatly reduced help-desk calls from inexperienced builders or non-programmers who may not comprehend all the web programming jargon.

I am sending an updated version of abstracts.php that I've added server validations to that seem to work, but now the insert record function no longer inserts data into my MySQL db nor does the Universal Email function work.

Could you review and see if you can locate what was wrecked?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the first problem that I see is that you have 2 instances of the server validation behavior on the page, there should be only one.

Reply with your phone number and I can call to help you in getting the page set up properly.

randyrie405335

Although I'm behind a firewall where I work, perhaps we can talk using the page I sent you as a discussion guide?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I tried calling but got your voicemail, I guess we can go this way through the forum

the first issue, is that you have 2 instances of the server validation behavior, and you should only have 1.

remove the first one, then edit the remaining one to add any additional validations. In the validation, set the Error redirect to go back to the same page and include a url variable:
abstracts-updated.php?valid=false

this way you can if there is validation failing causing the insert and email not to be sent.

also, add the session dump code:
<pre><?php var_dump($_SESSION); ?></pre>

this will have information on what is going on, post the session contents back after trying to submit the form, i can use that to help troubleshoot.

randyrie405335

Frustrated

Nothing was working so I completely stripped all PHP from the page and started over with a new page. Now I have a simple form with 16 fields that I want to insert into a MySQL database. I'm trying to use the insert server behavior found in the MySQLi extension. BUT NOW I CANNOT EVEN GET THE INSERT TO WORK - no data is inserted and no warnings displayed! Need a fresh eye to look things over - I'm attaching the errant page (registration_prof.php).

This is going from bad to worse and I do not know why or how to fix it. I'm available tomorrow morning for a call... could you please have one of your techs call me? I am nearly two weeks behind and MUST get these extensions to work for me or I'm going to have to drop Webassist from this project and go back to Adobe's legacy server behaviors.

Attached Files
registration_prof.php

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the most obvious issue I see on this page is the form action.

the page you sent me is named registration_prof.php, but the action of the form is set to post to a different page registration.php:

<form action="registration.php"

change that so it is posting to itself:
<form action="registration_prof.php"

if you still have a problem after changing the form action, let me know and i will give a call.

randyrie405335

I'm attempting a complex build: two forms on two pages (registration_prof.php and registration_student.php) iFramed into registration.php. Upon submission of either form, I want register_psucheckout.php to ooen with the correct record displayed. I did this using Adobe's legacy extensions in DWCS6 but have had no success trying to duplicate this with Webassist's extensions.

I am attaching all the affected webpages for your review and advise.

Attached Files
register_psucheckout.php
registration.php
registration_prof.php
registration_student.php

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I wouldn't use an iframe for this, that will cause issues. instead us Framework builder to add the registration_prof.php and registration_student.php to the registration page.

The idea of framework builder plugins to create separate pages with their own functionality, then add them to another page.

Get the registration_prof and student pages working separately, then add them to the registration page using plugins.

where you are going to have 2 form on the same page, it is important that each form use unique form element names, especially the submit button, and that each server behavior that will process these forms use the submit button as the trigger.

looking at your pages, i see a few issues:

1) the paths to support files on the registration_prof page looks wrong:
<link href="../../../Library/WebServer/Documents/ICMIDS/Styles/SiteStyle_incl.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

on the student page, that same file is included as:
<link href="Styles/SiteStyle_incl.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

this is also effecting the forms action. make sure both of these files are being created in the same location.

2) the insert behavior on registration_prof does not have a name for the session to save the inserted ID:
$InsertQuery->saveInSession("");

this is needed to return the recordset on the next page

3) Student registration uses the any form post trigger for the insert, it should use the Submit button pressed trigger

4) register_psucheckout has an insert and validation behavior on it, these are not needed as nothing will be submitting to this page.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...