close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Data Search

Thread began 8/27/2009 7:54 am by mike292921 | Last modified 9/03/2009 6:00 am by mike292921 | 2978 views | 5 replies |

mike292921

Data Search

Problem I am having is that I have 2 columns in a database one for item name and one for item description. I used advance search to look up the text and is set on (and) separator what my problem is that when I type text as a whole since it is searching 2 columns it won't exactly find that item. For instance.

when I type Item Name Item Description in the form it automatically searches Item Name Only and not the 2 of them as a whole. Could have been something I did, I am still too new. I would like to know if I can .

Right now its searching one column or another but can they be combined?
What would be the best way to go at this.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

You should only be using the 'AND' and 'OR' separators to differentiate between the different criteria. It sounds like you have a single criterion, to do a like search with a single field on multiple columns. To do this you would just make sure that you have both columns selected. This way it will do the search on both columns regardless and return results where there were matches. So if the user enters something for an item that is either part of the name or part of the description that record will be returned in the results.

mike292921

Thank You Eric, I still need some help

When I used the datassist search wizard I selected the columns I would like to search correctly. I have been messing with it to sort it out properly but I am fairly new, it is most likely something I am missing.

First I have the recordset set to select the columns only is that correct?

Then I used the search wizard and I selected out of the column for the Itemname and Itemshortdescription to be chosen I highlighted the both here is what I have as a search parameter.

1. Type 2.Selector 3.Column 4. CT 5. Comparison 6. Value

1. Key 2. AND 3. Itemname, Itemshortdescription 4.T 5. Includes (although I had it previously set to begins with) 6. Post form (which works)

The problem is that when I search items I want it so that it will look up that item exactly that meets both criteria otherwise don't show other products that aren't related. Tell me what I can do to achieve this.

I appreciate all your help and products.

mike292921

Just keeping this fresh

Can anyone help me?

Eric Mittman

So when you want to limit the information based on multiple criteria you should get the criteria setup and make sure that the separator is set to AND.

For example in your current search you have both columns selected. This means that if you enter a value that is found partly or fully in either of these columns all records that have a match will be returned.

To make it more limiting you should break this into multiple criteria. They will be almost exactly like each other but the search separator of AND between them will ensure that it is found in both and only where it is found in both will the matching record be returned. If you would like to do an exact match type search then you should set it up that way instead of the keyword includes type search.

mike292921

Thank again Eric

I will try this today.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...