close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Basic clarification needed please..

Thread began 1/05/2015 8:08 am by paulmgillard360368 | Last modified 1/06/2015 7:23 am by Jason Byrnes | 1498 views | 3 replies |

paulmgillard360368

Basic clarification requested please..

Hi Support

I'm reading about your Database Connection Tool which is now part of Data Bridge - and trying to understand the main concepts.

Let's say that I have three different websites and that they each have their own separate database.

You describe what it does:

"One connection file will be automatically generated for you, which can be published to all of your domains. The correct database will then be detected based on the domain your web visitors access."

I have not even connected a single website up to one database just yet, so this is all a little more advanced than where I am up to...

I have successfully uploaded my first example database to the server using a software called MySQLWorkbench, - and I am on a Mac.

All I know so far is that it is one database on a server, that in theory I can connect from a website that I run.

QUESTION - 01:
Can I have different databases - ie: one for each site? Should they have logical names for what they are used for?

eg: DB_commerce, DB_registration, DB_email,

QUESTION - 02:
Does your Database Connection Tool give me a connection wizard that will connect to one or many databases?

No doubt there is a page on your site which explains the concept of databases and their connections for folk like me who have never worked with them at all. If so please give me a link for this, as I am making small careful steps towards understanding this stuff!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

your first question really depends on your hosting account.

there are different types of hosting accounts.

One type of account is for one site only. another hosting account type would allow you to create multiple sites in one account.

If you have an account type that allows you to create multiple sites under it, then you will also be able to create multiple databases for each site.

Just to confuse things a little more, it is also possible to create multiple databases within one site, but I don't recommend that.

The Database connect tool creates a connection to one database, so if you have multiple databases, you will need a separate connection for each.

The purpose of the Dynamic Connection tool is:
To Create one Connection file that connects to a database on your local server and also on your live server. it dynamically detects the server from the address, then uses the correct database connection details for that server.

paulmgillard360368

Thanks Jason.

I'm understanding all of this much better now I think. I'm going through your tutorials and taking time to really let things sink in.

All my sites (I have four) are on one server, and at the moment I have only one database assigned to me, although I have been told I could have others if I need them. (I need to learn to walk before running, of course!)

Currently I don't have lots of products for sale, so won't need one for this type of site ...just yet.

If I could get a site registration organized with a back-end management - so I have a list of folk who have signed up, then I think I'd be more than happy to have got to that point to begin with.

Having just purchased SuperSuite, there is a lot choice!

The main thing is not to get too spooked by that. The Webinars I purchased recently by Ray, are excellent to listen to for 'getting' the main concepts and I'm very glad I invested in them.

Thanks again for helping me out here!

Paul.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You're welcome. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask here.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...