close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

how do you start over? get rid of the ecart object and ecart1 and start from scratch

Thread began 1/05/2015 6:01 am by EPhi86271815 | Last modified 1/05/2015 12:19 pm by Jason Byrnes | 616 views | 1 replies |

EPhi86271815

how do you start over? get rid of the ecart object and ecart1 and start from scratch

I put the View Cart button with the redirect to the DisplayCart.php page, in the template so that it would appear on all my pages with parts that I sell. I didn't want to have to keep adding it to each page. Is that okay? The View Cart button installed, but the CHeckout button would not install in the template without an error message that say something about "it would not save to each child page because it was not within the HTML header code." I then went into the code and copied it there, but then it was above the webpage instead of where my cursor was in the page.

Then I went back to my parts selling page (child page) where I have the Add to Cart button. I added qty 1 and clicked add to cart. But when I click on View Cart it says the cart is empty. Do I need to create the ecart object on that template page first? Do I have to create that object for every page or just once and on what page?

Now I think I need to start over. I think what happened is that I did the Wizard, but then I created a new Display page. Somehow the pages are not talking to each other. I found ecart1 in the side panel four times. Is that a problem?

What are the steps to get rid of all this code and start again? Can I just create a new Display page, and then do the wizard over again?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you won't be able to add the checkout button to the template. this is a limitation to templates and how they work.

the checkout button uses server side code in the head of the page to do the redirect to the checkout page. templates won't work with server side code in the head.

The work around to this is to use the Data Bridge framework Builder tool to convert template to a Theme and use the Framework themes on the page:
http://www.webassist.com/tutorials/Using-themes-in-Data-Bridge-and-Design-Extender

There are a few different things that can cause the cart to remain empty after adding an item, first make sure you aren't switching domains when going from the add to cart page to the view cart page. what i mean by this is changing from the www address to the non www address or vice versa, for example, adding to cart at:
http://www.mydomain.com/addtocart.php

and them viewing the cart with the address not using www:
http://mydomain.com/addtocart.php/viewcart.php

the www versus non www adresses are separate domains, and separate session.

The next thing to check is that the eCart add to cart page uses the same eCart object as the view cart page.

next is to check the server is capable of saving sessions. use the attached sessionTest page to make sure sessions are working. if the session test fails, you will need to contact the host to have them fix the problem, most likely a bad session.save_path setting in the php.ini file.

to start all over again, delate the WA_eCart folder and recreate the add to cart and view caret pages.

Attached Files
sessionTest.php
Sign in to reply to this post

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...