close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

File Permissions Power CMS

Thread began 11/19/2014 11:10 am by jo271221 | Last modified 12/01/2014 8:48 am by Jason Byrnes | 2346 views | 9 replies |

jo271221

File Permissions Power CMS

I am at the point where I need to allow permissions. Do I allow 777 to the entire public html and then change back or what is best?
I attempted to allow 777 to the directories I guessed would need it and still get the error. Is just certain directories or ?

http://www.baltezoreperformancehorses.com/install_cms/diagnostic.php
File Permissions
Files and directories cannot be created. Verify the ../ directory has write permissions on your server.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the directory that Power CMS is uploaded to needs to have full write permissions, if you upload it to the site root, then the site root needs write permissions, if you upload it to a subdirectrlory, then the subdirectory needs the write permissions.

Looks like you have it uploaded at the site root.

jo271221

What should the numeric value be for files? for directories? I used 776 and ....

I set the permissions to 776 for files and directories.

Errors
You don't have permission to access /Templates/inside_template.dwt.php on this server.

http://baltezoreperformancehorses.com/ - Style sheet is not found or something

You don't have permission to access /admin_cms on this server.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

normally, 755 for folders and 644 for files is sufficient.

I'll need to troubleshoot directly, see the private message section.

jo271221

Info requested is in PM

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

For some reason, the server will inly allow the files to be accessed if the permission is set to allow read write for the public, either 767 to 777

it should be able to work with 755 for folders and 644 for files. you should contact the host to determine why you have to give such elevated permissions to run access files and folders on the site, it should not require 777 like it is now.

jo271221

I have submitted a ticket to the hosting company. Did you do something to make the style sheets and images link back up? The page was not displaying correctly and it is now. Thank You.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, i set the permissions for those folders to 767, but it should not need that broad a permissions to be able to work.

jo271221

What is the numeric value and also name that I should set the permissions on my directories to?

What is the numeric value and name hat I should set the permissions on my directories to?

Is this the same for PowerCMS and PowerStore and acceptable for all sites as a protocal? Thank you and I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

755 (Or Owner: Read Write Execute, Group: Read Execute, Public Read Execute) for directories

644 (Or Owner: Read Write, Group Read, Public Read) for files

should work as a general rule for all php sites.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...