close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Ongoing Yosemite Issue

Thread began 11/13/2014 7:49 am by B Tonkin | Last modified 2/02/2015 9:26 am by Jason Byrnes | 3235 views | 11 replies |

B Tonkin

Ongoing Yosemite Issue

As users may or may not be aware there is an issue with running WebAssist Extensions in Dreamweaver CS6 (or earlier) on a Mac under OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). The issue is that Dreamweaver crashes whenever they get used, rendering them useless. Not sure what sort of statistics you have access to there, but surely there's enough CS6 (or earlier) users running Yosemite to warrant an answer with a bit more depth as to what the issue is and how much longer it'll take to be fixed.

You guys were made aware of this issue on the 7th of October, prior to Yosemite's launch. I sort of understand why you can't work on it until it's official launch date of the 17th of October, but it wasn't hard to get hold of it pre-launch. Either way, it was launched on the 17th and now it's the 14th of November. Unless we see any updates by the weekend a month will have passed by since Yosemite's launch.

Responses to the big question of when the issue will be resolved haven't been very specific. "We're working on it. Can't say how long it'll take." is the usual reply. Are you able to expand on this for us? For me? Perhaps Yosemite and CS6 users are few and far between? Is this an Adobe problem and we're waiting on them to do something?

I just need something with a bit more meat.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The release of Yosemite happened to correspond with the release of DW CC 2014.1 update.

That update broke our extensions activation, so we had tho focus our efforts on updating the extensions to fix the DW CC 2014.1 compatibility issues as that effected all OS's.

Now that those updates are complete, we are looking at the compatibility issues with Yosemite.

So far, it is pretty much only DW CS 6 that has problems, and the problem seams to be rooted in DW CS6 itself. it is looking like a memory leak in CS6 that is causing the crash.

We're looking to try and find a way around the problem, but the reality is we might not be able to. The crash is inconsistent, so that makes it very difficult to pin point.

We can't really give a time frame on when we will have a fix. we just don't know what the fix will be. As we have more information, we will make that information available.

We have had reports form users using other versions of DW with out the crashing problem, and our testing has shown that it works in other DW versions as well.

PatriceWebAssist

You said:

"We're looking to try and find a way around the problem, but the reality is we might not be able to. The crash is inconsistent, so that makes it very difficult to pin point."

Please tell us this isn't so. If we can't keep up on IOS, we can't continue to buy WA products. We can't make a choice between newest IOS and keeping WA working.

B Tonkin

That'll be a shame if you can't fix it, Jason. Beyond a shame to be honest. It'll mean a move to Adobe's Creative Cloud to get DW CC 2014.1, which isn't cheap. It also mean the purchase of your MySQLi extension, which is another purchase that I didn't need to make prior to this problem.

Can you keep everyone posted on this? Be interested to know the breakdown of WA users on DW CS6 + Yosemite and subsequently how much attention this issue warrants.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I agree that it would be a shame, we are continuing to look into the problem and hopefully will be able to find a solution.

on your comment about upgrading to Creative Cloud, this would not require you to also purchase the MySQLi extension at this time. you can use the DW CC 2014.1 without the MySQLi extension. I can't speak to future versions of DW, but the current DW versions don't require MySQLi. Also, as a part of the Creative Cloud subscription, it gives you access to older DW versions. the Creative Cloud application manager allows you to install DW CS6, CC, and CC 2014.1:
http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/01/29/revert-to-a-previous-version-of-premiere-pro-cc-or-any-creative-cloud-application/

PatriceWebAssist

Jason, you said:

"So far, it is pretty much only DW CS 6 that has problems, and the problem seams to be rooted in DW CS6 itself. it is looking like a memory leak in CS6 that is causing the crash."

Isn't this just the usual memory leak that we've been dealing with all along? If we do our "usual" work arounds, i.e., closing all views, etc, keeping preview turned off, does it work?

Anyone else, who is used to managing the crashes, seeing more or just of the same? If just the same, it is manageable. If something very new and very worrisome, I don't want to go to Yosemite yet. Please weigh in on your experiences with Yosemite. Most appreciated.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The issues in Yosemite are similar to the usual memory leak, but it is much more severe in Yosemite and not really able to work around as the memory leak happens much more quickly in Yosemite.

PatriceWebAssist

Jason: Ray mentioned that you know a way to set up two different OS systems on Mac so we can keep the older version for just using WebAssist. Can you share how that would be done? I am very concerned that my 5-year-old Mac Pro is going to fail at some point and its replacement will be the latest OS.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

There a re a couple pieces of software available for creating a virtual machine to allow another OS to Run inside your existing OS:

Parallels availbale here:
http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

and Virtual Box available here:
https://www.virtualbox.org

are 2 that i have used successfully.

PatriceWebAssist

Thanks... I just saw this. (notification to posts still not working for me)

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...