close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Website Payments Standard and IPN integration with ecart and Dreamweaver

Thread began 8/26/2009 10:15 am by david385393 | Last modified 9/23/2009 4:10 pm by Ray Borduin | 11931 views | 33 replies |

david385393

Website Payments Standard and IPN integration with ecart and Dreamweaver

I am new to implementing payment options on a website. I am using Dreamweaver and have purchased ecart. I would like someone to explain the steps needed to implement Paypal's Instant Payment Notification (IPN) with ecart. I have done some experimenting and I have managed to set everything up to where the database is being updated successfully from the checkout page and I get to the paypal site where you log in to make the payment. ecart seems to create the other pages correctly also eg the confirm and success etc. It looks like the payment process would work fine if I continued from here but before I take the trial run any further I would like to know how I can achieve to only update the database if the IPN returns with a successful payment transaction completed. I have very little PHP knowledge but having said that I am a quick learner. I would appreciate any advice on how to get things up and running for now, as the saying goes, I can add bells and whistles later when I have gained more experience with PHP. I am looking to implement a few add to cart buttons, one for Annual Subscription, There will be 4 other add to cart buttons for other products on which I would like to setup the shipping charge to depend on the Country in the address field of the checkout form. Any information to direct me to achieving the goal or links to other info sources which may help would be greatly appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

My first suggestion is not to use paypal standard and IPN.

I don't see any reason for it. Use Express Checkout.

You will have to use paypal direct payment local checkout in the checkout wizard, then just remove the checkout form associated with direct payments and leave the express checkout buttons.

That will have all of the advantages of paypal standard (no monthly fee), and none of the drawbacks (won't have to struggle with IPN).

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

david385393

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

david385393

I may be going blind and a bit silly but I don't see the options you have suggested in the wizard.??

david385393

The options under ‘locally’ in the wizard are as follows
Website Payments pro – US
Website Payments pro – UK
Payflow Pro.
I do not have any of these options with Paypal. Am I missing something simple here?? Wouldn’t be surprised if I am.!

MJMurphy

Using PayPal Standard and IPN

I'm trying to do the same thing - I want to use the IPN and have made a good connection but I can't seem to find the proper steps to follow when the data is returned from PayPal.

Is there a solution recipe to follow for this - something like...
1. IPN returns data
2. Recreate cart
3. Add purchaser info to database
4. Add order summary to database
5. Add order details to database

Mind you, I don't know if the above is correct or not - can someone please clarify?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Use "Website payments pro" in the wizard. (or really any of them, since you are going to remove that functionality at the end anyway you are just using it to add the express checkout option)

Then you will have to delete the credit card form and only allow the express checkout option on the checkout page and you can delete the confirm, success, and failure page since you will only be using the pp_confirm and other pages that start with pp_ for the checkout.

IPN offers no advantage over express checkout other than it doesn't require php code, and since webassist extensions will write that code for you pp standard isn't a real logical solution to use with the cart.

tom250037Beta Tester

Doesn't Express Checkout require a paypal account? I have a lot of clients who's customers checkout on paypal standard, using a credit card instead of a paypal account.

Is this supported with Express Checkout?

Tom

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Express Checkout and Paypal standard require the merchant to have a paypal account, but the purchaser can use a credit card in either.

MJMurphy

PayPal Checkout w/o IPN

I followed the instructions and used the checkout wizard with the Website Payments Pro option selected. That option called for an api key and a signature (which I didn't have) so I entered the paypal email address set up for the paypal sandbox.

The wizard generated all the files but when I click the PayPal express checkout button, the page goes nowhere....I assume it's because I'm not set up for website payments pro.

Either I'm missing something or this method doesn't work.

Any insight?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...