close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Using universal email to send email to a list of invitees with links in email that sends to database - i.e accept / decline / maybe

Thread began 10/27/2014 8:56 am by s.joiner74419001 | Last modified 10/28/2014 2:09 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2631 views | 14 replies |

s.joiner74419001

Using universal email to send email to a list of invitees with links in email that sends to database - i.e accept / decline / maybe

I have setup a Database that has a list of invitees we wanting to send emails to for them to select there choice of - Accept / Decline / Maybe.

So far I have an in-house admin page where we select an invitee by name which in hand populates a web form with the data. This form has a hidden field attached that sends the value Yes to the Database Table Column : "email-sent". I have applied the 'Create Email Message" server behaviour to the form so when it submits it sends an email to the address of the invitee originally selected.

In the email that is sent we want the receiver to be able to click their option which sends that option to the database table column called 'Status'. The options would be - Accept / Decline / Maybe.

Are you able to suggest the best way for me to achieve this? Can I have these options embedded in the email? if so how would I do this. or would I direct them to a form on our web-site where they might have there name displayed and three radio buttons to make there choice. With this I'm not sure how I would pass the correct data from the link in the email.

Hope this makes sense!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the email body, have a link to the response page that passes the UserID as a URL variable:

http://yourdomain.com/response.php?userID=56

you can use the recordset that is used for the email loop to add the Dynamic binding for the user ID in the email.

then on the response [age have a form that they can select the status, and a hidden form element to capture the User ID URL variable, and use that on inserting the status.

s.joiner74419001

Great thanks Jason.. I think I understand this. Will see how I get on..

Cheers!

s.joiner74419001

Jason can you explain further how I capture the user ID URL variable in the hidden element?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

go to the bindings panel, click the plus and select URL Variable to create a binding, give the binding the name of the variable used in the link, in my example, it was named userID:

http://yourdomain.com/response.php?userID=56

Then select the hidden element in design view, clic the lightning bolt icon next to innate value and select the userID URL binding.

s.joiner74419001

Top Man!! Cheers!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you're welcome.

s.joiner74419001

Jason you said previously I can use the recordset that is used for the email loop to add the Dynamic binding for the user ID in the email. But how do I access this record set from the email page? I can not work out how I can use a recordset on the email.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

see this thread for details:
http://www.webassist.com/forums/posts.php?id=17869

s.joiner74419001

Jason I just don't get this.

I can obviously place the first piece of code at the top of the page. But I do not understand what it is doing or understand what the second piece of code is and where to put it. Plus is there anything else I need to do or add for this to work!

I think I'm out of my depth with this!

Any pointers! ;-)

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...