close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Need a single MySQLi drop down select list to insert multiple columns from one table into a form

Thread began 9/29/2014 7:27 am by Jason | Last modified 9/29/2014 12:43 pm by Jason Byrnes | 7447 views | 20 replies |

Jason

Need a single MySQLi drop down select list to insert multiple columns from one table into a form

This is a drop down that I currently have, and it's working fine.

<td width="398"><label for="Event">Event:
<select name="Event" id="Event">
<?php
while(!$Event->atEnd()) { //dyn select
?>
<option value="<?php echo($Event->getColumnVal("id")); ?>"<?php if (!(strcmp($Event->getColumnVal("id"), ($Event->getColumnVal("id"))))) {echo "selected=\"selected\"";} ?>><?php echo($Event->getColumnVal("event")); ?></option>
<?php
$Event->moveNext();
}
$Event->moveFirst(); //return RS to first record
?>
</select>
</label></td>

However, I need to insert the values from 2 other columns (start_time & end_time) in this table that correspond with the selected record when the form is submitted. I want those values to be hidden but they need to change along with the selected value in the drop down.

How can I do that?

The query is:

<?php
$Event = new WA_MySQLi_RS("Event",$local_i,0);
$Event->setQuery("SELECT kids_program_events.* FROM kids_program_events");
$Event->execute();?>
Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I Dont follow, please provide more details.

Jason

For example, the options in the drop down list are the contents of the event column (9am Service, 11am Service...). If "9am Service" is selected when the form is submitted, I need to enter the event_id (1), start_time (08:30:00), and end_time (10:30:00) for that record into 3 columns the on the table the form is inserting a record to (all based off of the 1 selection).

Here's what the insert looks like currently.

<?php
if ((((isset($_POST["Submit"]))?$_POST["Submit"]:"") != "")) {
$InsertQuery = new WA_MySQLi_Query($local_i);
$InsertQuery->Action = "insert";
$InsertQuery->Table = "calendar_events";
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("name", "s", "".((isset($_POST["UserID"]))?$_POST["UserID"]:"") ."", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("start_date", "s", "".((isset($_POST["start_date"]))?$_POST["start_date"]:"") ."", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("end_date", "s", "".((isset($_POST["start_date"]))?$_POST["start_date"]:"") ."", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("repeats", "s", "".((isset($_POST["RecurType"]))?$_POST["RecurType"]:"") ."", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("repeat_every", "i", "".((isset($_POST["Frequency"]))?$_POST["Frequency"]:"") ."", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("repeat_on", "i", "".((isset($_POST["RecurOn"]))?$_POST["RecurOn"]:"") ."", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("occurrence", "s", "".((isset($_POST["Occurrence"]))?$_POST["Occurrence"]:"") ."", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("occurrence_end", "s", "".((isset($_POST["ends_on"]))?$_POST["ends_on"]:"") ."", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("type", "s", "person", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("attribute", "s", "".((isset($_POST["Room"]))?$_POST["Room"]:"") ."", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("attribute_2", "s", "".((isset($_POST["Position"]))?$_POST["Position"]:"") ."", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->bindColumn("calendar_id", "i", "1", "WA_DEFAULT");
$InsertQuery->saveInSession("");
$InsertQuery->execute();
$InsertGoTo = "eventcal.php";
if (function_exists("rel2abs")) $InsertGoTo = $InsertGoTo?rel2abs($InsertGoTo,dirname(__FILE__)):"";
$InsertQuery->redirect($InsertGoTo);
}
?>

I may be severely over complicating this, but for some reason I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

why not just store the selected event ID, then use a join query to get the related data rather than storing it multiple times? That's the whole point of using a relational database.

Jason

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. Can you simplify your thoughts a little for me?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

what i mean is:

in the description column, dont store the name of the selected event:
5:30pm Service

instead store the ID:

then use a join query to return the event info in the recordset that returns the information

Jason

I get what you mean now. Thanks for dumbing it down a little. lol
I gave that a shot, but I'm getting an error in dreamweaver when I insert that query.

It says: Dynamically related files could not be resolved because of an internal server error.

The query looks like this:

<?php
$Times = new WA_MySQLi_RS("Times",$local_i,1);
$Times->setQuery("SELECT kids_program_events.* FROM calendar_events INNER JOIN kids_program_events ON calendar_events.event_id = kids_program_events.id GROUP BY kids_program_events.id");
$Times->execute();
?>

Jason

I'm sorry the error isn't caused by the query it's being caused by this:

$Times->getColumnVal('start_time')

Why?

This works:

function fcdb_query_events($start, $end) {
global $calendar_events, $view;
$result = array();
while(!$calendar_events->atEnd()) {
$item = new stdClass;
$item->id = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('id');
$item->name = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('name');
$item->name = is_numeric($calendar_events->getColumnVal('name')) ? $calendar_events->getColumnVal('UserFirstName').' '.$calendar_events->getColumnVal('UserLastName').' '.$calendar_events->getColumnVal('UserPhone') : $calendar_events->getColumnVal('name');
$item->description = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('description');
$item->recurrence = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('recurrence');
$item->start_date = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('start_date') . ' ' . $calendar_events->getColumnVal('start_time');
$item->end_date = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('end_date') . ' ' . $calendar_events->getColumnVal('end_time');
$item->repeat = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('repeats');
$item->repeat_on = is_int($calendar_events->getColumnVal('repeat_on')) ? ('x'.$calendar_events->getColumnVal('repeat_on')) : "";
$item->repeat_every = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('repeat_every') . $item->repeat_on;
$item->occurrence = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('occurrence');
$item->occurrence_end = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('occurrence_end');
$item->repeat_key = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('repeat_key');
$item->attribute = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('attribute');
$item->allDay = false;
$item->event_id = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('event_id');
$result[] = $item;
$calendar_events->moveNext();

But this doesn't:

function fcdb_query_events($start, $end) {
global $calendar_events, $view;
$result = array();
while(!$calendar_events->atEnd()) {
$item = new stdClass;
$item->id = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('id');
$item->name = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('name');
$item->name = is_numeric($calendar_events->getColumnVal('name')) ? $calendar_events->getColumnVal('UserFirstName').' '.$calendar_events->getColumnVal('UserLastName').' '.$calendar_events->getColumnVal('UserPhone') : $calendar_events->getColumnVal('name');
$item->description = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('description');
$item->recurrence = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('recurrence');
$item->start_date = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('start_date') . ' ' . $Times->getColumnVal('start_time');
$item->end_date = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('end_date') . ' ' . $Times->getColumnVal('end_time');
$item->repeat = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('repeats');
$item->repeat_on = is_int($calendar_events->getColumnVal('repeat_on')) ? ('x'.$calendar_events->getColumnVal('repeat_on')) : "";
$item->repeat_every = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('repeat_every') . $item->repeat_on;
$item->occurrence = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('occurrence');
$item->occurrence_end = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('occurrence_end');
$item->repeat_key = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('repeat_key');
$item->attribute = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('attribute');
$item->allDay = false;
$item->event_id = $calendar_events->getColumnVal('event_id');
$result[] = $item;
$calendar_events->moveNext();

Jason

Disregard, I needed to set the query as a global variable.

Jason

Well, I did something wrong because it's giving everything the same start and end time of event 1.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...