close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Here are 3 problems in PowerStore that need to be addressed

Thread began 8/24/2009 5:42 pm by mick106153 | Last modified 8/28/2009 12:02 pm by Eric Mittman | 2955 views | 8 replies |

mick106153

Here are 3 problems in PowerStore that need to be addressed

First.
While testing on my remote server I've noticed that if I place an item in cart and proceed to checkout I'm asked to log-in or register as expected.
I click log-in as I am registered and after logging in I'm taken to users_Profile.php rather than to checkout.
Is that necessary? Or can we be taken directly to checkout?

Second.
I will quote myself here and Jason Byrnes from the thread "how do you add to base price with added product option?"

Jason

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  each option is a unique record in the database. all of the attributes for each option can be customized.

as far as the user is concerned, it appears to be the same item, they are just making a selection form a drop down box. But the option can have it's own price, own inventory count etc.  

Me

Originally Said By: mick106153
  That's what I thought and after I made several entries employing that principle – changing SKU along with size and/or color – it seems to have worked.
Now what would be really trick would be to treat the SKU field as we do the options we create so we could enter all the variables for shirt x including the different SKU's and than select them from the "manage options" window. The only caveat would be that the SKU should not display to the customer. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to allow the choice of not displaying any option.
That would be a lot less work than what I'm now doing – enter all the options than the data about a product and "save" than "update" and change the SKU and choose the predefined size and/or color and "save" again, than do it all over again for the next iteration of the same product. So 5 sizes available in 2 colors each available with one of 2 different color designs means, if my math is correct, 40 trips through the process I've just described.
If SKU were an "option" a whole lotta steps could be saved.
The way I'm doing it now all iterations of the same product show up as a single item with size and color variables and thus enables tracking inventory by SKU.
Alternatively, you could use one overarching SKU and create a "part#" option or somesuch but that again would have to be not displayed to the customer.

If I'm right about all that I've said than I don't think I'm the only one who was unaware of the full potential available and this ought to be made more clear to everyone.

Mick  

After reading numerous comments and questions in this forum it seems to me that there is a great deal of confusion about what can be done with the options.
What I've done as described above (and please tell me if I've taken a wrong turn here) allows me to - in effect - reuse much of what is in place from a previous product by simply saving the changes i.e. new SKU different size whatever. Assuming the product is a single item with the only differences being size , color, SKU, image. The result being that that product and all its iterations are displayed as a single item with options. Clicking the options displays the differences in color size image etc.
The advantage to me is that I can maintain my distinct SKU for each item and track inventory, sales etc.

The impression I was given before this was that in order to maintain my unique SKU's I would have to insert each item as a separate item and that they would each be displayed separately. If I wanted all iterations to be displayed as a single item with options I would have to forgo a unique SKU for each iteration. I don't think I was the only one with that impression.

Which leads to the Third item:
When I do as described above and make a variation to a product and attempt to use a previously used image I'm forbidden from doing so. If a make a copy of that image and save it with a different name I'm allowed.

I hope what I've said isn't too confusing. I find it hard to put into words.

Mick

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I think you might be missing something... maybe. I might be confused too.

Every product characteristic can be updated, including SKU, for each option combination.

Behind the scenes there is a separate product created for each option combination possible and you can go in and edit the SKU's to be unique after adding the options.

You do not need to add separate products if you want them to appear on the same page as options with different sku's. You should be adding a single product, defining the options, and then updating the SKUs for each option combination.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

mick106153

Yes, I now understand that to be the case. My reason for writing is manifold.
Early on I was misled. Possibly by myself or discussions on the forum, I don't recall.
To believe that the only way to maintain an unique SKU was to define each product separately.
It also seemed that I was not the only one.
If the SKU field were made configurable like the options than one could enter ALL the variables at once when initially defining a new product. Than in "manage options" where all the possible iterations are displayed you could choose to display the ones currently available. All done. One simple operation. Unique SKUs in place. Inventory controlled.
Because the SKU needs to be replaced for each variation of a product you need to make the trip through this process repeatedly. Eats up a lot of time.
If I'm not being clear enough - and I don't think I am - please contact me directly and I can walk you through the process I'm trying to describe.

And Ray, can you comment on the first and third questions I posed in my previous post?

Thanks

Mick

Ray BorduinWebAssist

1) if you add the url parameter loginpage.php?accessCheck=pagename.php it will return you to the page specified after logging in. Is it setting the url parameter when going to the page in the first place?

3) It should use the same image by default. If you want to specify a new one then it will create a copy of it, but it should allow it. What is the problem or error when you try to use the same image?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

glozinski107205

Go to Checkout Page not Users Profile

1) if you add the url parameter loginpage.php?accessCheck=pagename.php it will return you to the page specified after logging in. Is it setting the url parameter when going to the page in the first place?

What line or where exactly would you add the loginpage.php?accessCheck=pagename.php to so that it goes to the checkout page?
Tx

Eric Mittman

This would be done on the checkout page for the login link, the line of code looks like this by default:

<div class="text-indent">Is this the wrong account? Please <a href="users_LogIn.php">log in</a> or <a href="users_Registration.php">register</a>.</div>

If you add in the parameter you will be returned to that page after login like this:

<div class="text-indent">Is this the wrong account? Please <a href="users_LogIn.php?accessCheck=checkout.php">log in</a> or <a href="users_Registration.php">register</a>.</div>

This would take you back to the checkout page after logging in.

mick106153

On my copy of checkout.php at line 383 there was the following:
(if you have been here before <a href="users_LogIn.php?accesscheck=checkout.php">Log In</a> to save time)<?php echo(ValidatedField("confirm","confirm")); ?>
Attached to the login in the header.

At line 491 was the following:
<div class="text-indent">Is this the wrong account? Please <a href="users_LogIn.php">log in</a> or <a href="users_Registration.php">register</a>.</div>

After reading what Ray said it seemed to me that
"<a href="users_LogIn.php?accesscheck=checkout.php">" as found in the first instance was what he meant so I modified the second instance to read the same.
That made no difference.
Than reading again I saw that you both had "accessCheck" rather than "accesscheck" as it is found in my copy of that page. Thinking that may be the problem I changed case in both locations and still no change. I'm still taken to users_Profile.php

Mick

glozinski107205

UserLogin to Checkout and Not Profile Page

okay I agree that did not work
I would like to go from add product to cart and then either register or user login and then after that end up back at the checkout page...so far not working
tx

Eric Mittman

I think that the access check part of this is ok, it is not sending you back to this page though for another reason. On the login page the user login form submits to itself and does not include the query string that has the access check in it. To correct this and get the page to redirect to the access check parameter you will need to update the action of the login form.

On the login page in the form that has the id id="WAATKLogInForm" you will need to update the action. Replace what is currently set for the action with this:

<?php echo $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]; ?><?php echo (isset($_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"]) && $_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"] != "")?"?".$_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"]:""; ?>

Doing this along with adding in the access check value to the login page link on the checkout page should get you back to the checkout page after you login from it.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...