close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

paypal email receipt (ECO) using ecart 6, fields and values

Thread began 6/11/2014 2:50 am by CraigR | Last modified 8/20/2014 9:43 am by Jason Byrnes | 3678 views | 17 replies |

CraigRBeta Tester

paypal email receipt (ECO) using ecart 6, fields and values

On the Paypal email confirmation, the itemised description displays the Product Name and the Item number with its productid.
Is it possible to change this information ?

For example, instead of displaying Item number and its id, I would like to display any options selected, and a description

I thought I found the source of the data in confirm.php, but changing it doesn't seem to have changed anything

//$WA_PP_ECO_Do_itemized[0][$nextIndex] = "Number" . strval($cartIndex+1) . "";
$WA_PP_ECO_Do_itemized[0][$nextIndex] = "Option" . strval($cartIndex+1) . "";
//$WA_PP_ECO_Do_itemized[1][$nextIndex] = "".$hgbCart->DisplayInfo("ID") ."";
$WA_PP_ECO_Do_itemized[1][$nextIndex] = "".$hgbCart->DisplayInfo("Option") ."";

Attached is a screen dump of the paypal confirmation email

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, the variables paypal will accept and show in the email are:

Amount
Name
Number
Quantity

you will not nbe able to remove the item ID from the email.

what you can do, is concatenate the options onto the item name:

$WA_PP_ECO_Do_itemized[0][$nextIndex] = "Name" . strval($cartIndex+1) . "";
$WA_PP_ECO_Do_itemized[0][$nextIndex] = "".$hgbCart->DisplayInfo("Name") ." Option:"".$hgbCart->DisplayInfo("Option") ."";

CraigRBeta Tester

Ok, I can concatenate no problem.

However my discount, when applied, is also showing up as an item with an id of 0.

Can I not get rid of this ?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, there is not a way to get rid of the discount in the email.

There is very little you can control about how the email receipt sent by paypal displays.

CraigRBeta Tester

Just doing some final testing on this, and got the concatenation working fine,

The value is passed to Paypal (ECO) successfully, and the product description appears throughout the transaction

However, when the email receipt is sent from Paypal, the description field is empty.

I queried this with Paypal, who stated that "there is no value passed for the product description which caused the missing product information on the email receipt" and i should take it up with Webassist,

The product description is clearly there during the transaction, (I think they are escalating the case) - do you know of any disallowed characters or other reason why the value is not being passed to the receipt ?

Thanks

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Until recently, paypal did not offer an item description field, so eCart has not been passing that information.

I have added a feature request to have that added in a future update.

for now, the description would need to be concatenated to the name, but be aware, the name has a limit of 127 characters.

CraigRBeta Tester

That's interesting to know.

I suspect there is something else afoot with paypal - I await their reply.

Have you got a link to the paypal update info for description, I may have a go at it.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

this is the paypal documentation for the Do Express Checkout soap API:
https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/api/merchant/DoExpressCheckoutPayment_API_Operation_SOAP/

to add the description is going to be a bit complex, it would need to be added to the paypal express server behavior code and also in the PP_ECO_PHP.php file.

CraigRBeta Tester

Hi Jason,

I had a reply from paypal.

They suggest the problem lies with using the older API script 63.0 and that I should use the newer one instead

"Through the investigation that has been made on the issue raised by you, I am afraid it is not the problem with notification email but something on the older API version used which is 63.0.
This might be the reason why the item description can't be passed to us successfully. I would suggest you to change newer API version which is 115.0 and try again."

I would have thought that if this was truly the case, then everyone using this script would be affected ?

I'm kind of stuck now, in that my code doesn't generate an accurate email receipt, (though the transaction is successful)

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

At this time, the only work around would be to concatenate the description to the Name that is passed.

Like I said, I have logged a feature request to have the description added to paypal express

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...