close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

relational tables

Thread began 8/19/2009 3:41 pm by wilyumcj205276 | Last modified 8/28/2009 1:52 am by Russell Collins | 2138 views | 4 replies |

wilyumcj205276

relational tables

Dataassist is supposed to create relational tables without having to do any code. In the dataassist getting started there is NO reference to how to do this. It is clearly mentioned in the Feature tour, when you're trying to sell it. Where are the step by step instructions. Yes step by step! You guys act as though everyone who buys your products is either trying to be an expert or already is. There were 2 vital steps left out of the pdf for the last task i needed to learn. They were left out because you guys do this stuff so much, that you forget we don't know. I'm pretty shitty. Get a clue. Look at how many people are constantly asking questions. It's because your tutorials are not up to par.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

Here is a link to a thread on this very topic, in post 3 there are step by step directions for implementing this.

showthread.php?t=2125

At the end of the thread you can see that this is something we are trying to get better documented for the benefit of all our users.

wilyumcj205276

Tutorials

You guys are being lazy, or you're trying to get more money out of customers for training. Which one is it. I see there is some company charging $150 per hour for mentor training. Instead of piece milling tutorials as you create new software, you need a linear type package list of tutorials for each combination of software. You would do this for each customer by giving them a list of tutorials they will need to complete a site based only on the software they have purchased. Think about how f'd up it is to advertise some great new functionality to sell a product, and then leaving it up to the client to figure it out. The main reason I wanted to buy Dataassist was because of the automatic relational tables, because I don't have time to learn sql. The database starter kit does a good job explaining the construction of databases, but not how to create foreign keys. I only want to learn exactly what is necessary to create a ecommerce site, not every nuance of Mysql.

Is Primary key=Parent
Foreign key =Child in the getting started guide of "dynamic dropdowns"?

Eric Mittman

The term foreign key could be thought of as being synonymous with the parent id field of a child table in the context of the Dynamic Dropdowns or other WebAssist tools that rely on table relations.

When it come to some of the features offered by our development tools a certain level of understanding about the relationship of your information in your db is required. While we try to offer training products like the Database Starter Kits it is difficult to include all the information and training one would need to be successful in any ecommerce or other venture. I would recommend that you look for additional resources while trying to expand on your database knowledge and skills, SQL is not a small subject by any means and there is much to be known.

Russell CollinsBeta Tester

Relational Database info

Hi,

Wil, I understand that it can be extremely frustrating when trying to get your head around relational database and their design. And how it relates to WA plugins.

Don't underestimate the power that WA plugins delivers to the web developer. The power and usability limits are only limited by ones understanding of the subject including your creative flair.

I have been at the point of not having a bloody clue what I was doing.

My successful action to understanding the whole subject of relational database was to study this book.

Beginning-Database-Design-Solutions.productCd-0470385499.html

it is a VERY VERY good book and worth every penny.

Making sure I had a dictionary handy so any word or concept I didn't understand I could discover its meaning.

Then with a piece of paper and a pencil do lots of practical exercises that are included in the book until you feel happy.

Download a copy of workbench and do some more tutorials with that.

If you follow this path you will be at a level you may not have believed possible and new door will open.

Once there you will have a whole new appreciation of what tools WA have created for us.

Regards

Russ

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...