close ad
Install the LAtest Updates to Work with CC 2017 and CC 2018
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

layout problem

Thread began 2/03/2014 10:15 am by Jamie | Last modified 2/03/2014 12:11 pm by Jamie | 832 views | 10 replies |

Jamie

layout problem

Hey Jason

If you have 5 mins, could you please look at http://clients.motley.co.uk/ITEAC/contact.php

Basically, it *should* look like the attached screenshot, but as soon as the large element in the sidebar is added (the one with the grey background in the right hand column) all the layout gets completely thrown off as you can see here http://clients.motley.co.uk/ITEAC/contact.php

The problem seems to be the length and/or content of the big grey element as when that is removed, the right column elements stack nicely on top of each other and the rest of the page renders perfectly.... but I cant figure out what is actually causing it

cheers

Jamie

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I dont see a problem, it look right to me when i view it in the browser. see attached screen shot.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jamie

sorry, had left the 'offending' element hidden.. its now visible and you shoudl see the issue

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Using Fire bug to inspect the page, it looks like the content div is inside the RightColumn div. the content should not be a child of the right column, it should be at the same level.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jamie

I dont understand why that would be as it is clearly on the same level as per my code...see attached screenshot of DW codeview and also firebug with one of the sidebar elemenst set to 'not live'

when that single element is set to visible thats when it throws everything off... I have left it invisible for the moment so that you can replicate what I am saying

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

there must be conflicting code in that element, an element that is not properly closed or is closed to many times to c aue the problem.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jamie

thats what I thought but its very odd.

The content in that element is this

<h2>Are you.....</h2>

<ul>
<li>Acousticians</li>
<li>Architects</li>
<li>Audio-visual engineers</li>
<li>Building owners</li>
<li>Construction managers</li>
<li>Control system designers</li>
<li>Cost Consultants</li>
<li>Critics</li>
<li>Dancers</li>
<li>Directors</li>
<li>Developers</li>
<li>Electrical Engineers</li>
<li>Environmental Services Engineers</li>
<li>Facility Managers</li>
<li>Flymen</li>
<li>Front of House Managers</li>
<li>Funders</li>
<li>Leisure Consultants</li>
<li>Lighting Designers</li>
<li>Manufacturers</li>
<li>Musicians</li>
<li>Orchestra Managers</li>
<li>Playwrites</li>
<li>Planners</li>
<li>Producers</li>
<li>Production Managers</li>
<li>Project Managers</li>
<li>Riggers</li>
<li>Scenic Designers</li>
<li>Scenographers</li>
<li>Sound Designers</li>
<li>Sound System Specifiers</li>
<li>Stage Engineers</li>
<li>Stage Lighting Operators</li>
<li>Stage Managers</li>
<li>Suppliers</li>
</ul>



now, if that remains the same, the problem persists...if I remove the last entry <li>Suppliers</li> the problem goes away....

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

There may be some javascript on the page causing the conflict then, try removing the scripts from the page.

else where in the source view i see a bunch of closing </li> tags that don't have a match opening them:

</li>
</li>
<li style="list-style-type: none; padding-right: 20px;display: inline;">Affiliate 4 </li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
<li style="list-style-type: none; padding-right: 20px;display: inline;">Affiliate 2 </li>
</li>
<li style="list-style-type: none; padding-right: 20px;display: inline;">Affiliate 3 </li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>
</li>

Sign in to reply to this post

Jamie

gets stranger... I have removed the code that is generating that set of closing </li>'s and that still causes a problem

It seems to be down to that last item in the list for the sidebar element... we,ll its irrelevant if its the last as have just removed one of the <li> items mid-order and it works again...

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I dont know Jamie, not something I will be able to troubleshoot for you.

Sign in to reply to this post
loading

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...