close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

DFP and a simple client usage

Thread began 3/26/2009 10:49 am by dennis80094 | Last modified 5/13/2009 7:36 am by Ray Borduin | 8058 views | 15 replies |

dennis80094

I was looking to find if DFP is the right tool for this job or if this and additional tools are needed.

The usage is simple, several companies with two or more employees. They need a simple login, which will be supplied to them, so that when they login they only see the files they can to download.

Example, a photographer setting up a system where art directors or designers can login and only see files specific to them for download.

The DFP solution recipes for downloads want to integrate e-commerce assuming files are going to be purchased.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It sounds like you would need DFP, DataAssist, and Security Assist to build this tool.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

dennis80094

"DataAssist, and Security Assist."

Thank you for the quick reply.

I can understand utility of DataAssist, especially for building a CMS and maintaining a DB.

If high security is not a necessity and the users, in the 10s not 100s, are going to be sent User ID's and PW's is "Security Assist" a necessity or a convenience?

Finally, the clients site is Linux based hosting on (everybody's favorite) GoDaddy. Do you foresee any problems with DFP, DataAssist or Security Assist?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Security assist is for login and user groups and rules for who views what.

kaptainkairos23100320

So in which order would you build the pages for this?

Hi _ I need to do this for a members area (dynamic page) showing audio downloads specific to that user after login.

I also want to set-up a simple admin for my client who wants to be able to upload files or at least setup download links to already uploaded files - assuming a database can't contain audio files but can contain links and make them availabe to a particular user after login

which app would I use first? second? and third? to create this?

I have a database connection and a mysql database I can edit using phpmyadmin

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I would start with DataAssist, you can add the admin login and make it for admin later. Use Digital File Pro to upload the files.

Then use SecurityAssist or the User Registration Solution to add user login and tie in downloads with digital file pro again.

kaptainkairos23100320

Easier said than done I think

I've spent the whole weekend trying to follow tutorials that don't exactly address what I'm trying to do - I'm pretty close to giving up on webassist as its not simple and its not quick!

I appreciate you are trying to help but I need more information or I'm going to have to buy something else that just works.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Where are you getting stuck? What have you tried? Now that you have done the tutorials that don't do what you want, start working on what you are trying to do and let us know what your questions are.

kaptainkairos23100320

Hi Ray - I've read on another thread that you advise redirecting to a common page after login and then redirecting from that page to a user specific page - how would I do this?

I've set up user_downloads1.php, user_downloads2.php, user_downloads3.php ... etc with authentication set to user_level = 1,2,3...etc after adding a user_level field in the visitors table of the database.

I've given up with data assist for now as it creates a javascript error in dreamweaver when its installed and anyway I can use phpmyadmin to access the database.

I'm confused about how I can associate a user with his downloadable files given that each user will have several files to download - so they can't be stored in the same visitors table - do I need to create a recordset combining the visitors table and the items table?

if so how?

I have setup the database with the following tables using sql from one of the supplied databases:

countries
groups
itemcategory
items
orderdetails
orders
orderstatustypes
states_provinces
visitors

I've set up a repeating region on user_downloads.php but how do I get the correct users files on the page.

I'm thinking to have the login page as the first page of the download section as everyone will need to login anyway.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The visitorID should be stored in the orders table, which then can be linked to the orderdetails table which can be linked to the items table, which is where you are likely storing the download locations.

You could probably use one page and just vary your SQL based on the login, but if you wanted to go to three pages, then :

1) Have the successful login send you to userdownloads1 and store the user_level as a session variable

2) Create a rule called "In group number 1" that checks to make sure a user is in group 1.

3) on userdownloads1 apply the server behavior to redirect to userdownloads2 if they are not part of the group "In group number 1"

4) repeat steps 2 and 3 for each group you want a separate redirect for.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...