close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

database search requiring full match

Thread began 12/29/2013 12:02 pm by bryan107833 | Last modified 1/01/2014 1:03 pm by Jason Byrnes | 406 views | 3 replies |

bryan107833

database search requiring full match

I have setup a products database that has different product lines with similar named products. i.e. Line 1, product "wash"; Line 2, product "wash" etc. I have setup search / result pages to query the DB but if some one types in "Line 1 wash" they get all of the products that contain wash and I want the results to require a match on the entire search string. Any product that contains both "line 1" and "wash". I have attached both a page with the search form and the results page. Thank you.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

in the keyword search settings, the OR separator is a space, the AND separator is a comma, and the encapsulation character is a quote.

this means if you search for:

Line 1 wash

it will look for:

Field Contains "Line" OR Field Contains "1" OR Field Contains "wash"

you say you want to return:
Any product that contains both "line 1" and "wash".

so in the search field you will need to enter the search phrase as:
"line 1", wash

you need the quotes around line 1 to encapsulate the term, you need the comma to force it to use AND so it will search for:
Field Contains "Line 1" AND Field Contains "wash"

bryan107833

Is there a way however to setup the search so that the customer can simply type in "Line 1 wash" as the customer would not know the syntax for this specified search? Thanks.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You can edit the data assist search server behavior to change the settings for the keyword criteria to use a different AND separator a different OR Separator and encapsulation character.

But the default settings offer the same sort of search functionality as you would get using Google, so it should be familiar to must users who are used to performing advanced searches using Google.

your search example is not a simple search, it is an advanced criteria. It would be better to educate the user on how to perform an advanced search. not only would it help them in using your site, but it would help them in using Google and other search engines in general.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...