close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Error codes not showing up

Thread began 8/18/2009 4:34 pm by deafboyz_audio386924 | Last modified 8/28/2009 9:12 am by deafboyz_audio386924 | 2841 views | 9 replies |

deafboyz_audio386924

Error codes not showing up

in digital file pro, i ran into an issue where a file pixel size was too big, no error code showed, just a real long fatal error with a file name. doesnt this script have scripting to make the error codes all pretty so the user know what they did wrong. Also, i was able to upload a file that was way too large and an avi. file, i specified for these NOT to be uploaded. for $100 it sure has a lot of problems....

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

To get the errors to display on the page you will need to go to the Digital File Pro bindings and insert the 'Error Message' binding onto the page where you would like to see the error. It will let you know what errors occurred with the upload of the file.

When you were able to upload the file that was too large how did you have your upload server behavior setup for this? It should definitely restrict the file based on the size or type if you specified these options. If you have set the options like this please post back with a copy of your upload page and include a link where this can be tested out.

deafboyz_audio386924

yea i used to use a WAMP server for my database, now i have switched to 1and1 database (my host) Since then i have had a few problems with concting to a db. Weird thing is that my signin page inputs data to the database, but when i try to connect to it to insert my form data, it says the db does not exist.
I talked to 1 and 1 and they said everything is right with my database. they dont know why i cant link my form to it. Maybe that has somethin to do with these errors.
how do i setup that stuff? I want to link my database to the form and also set the bindings for the upload page as you say will throw the error codes. i didnt see any how tos anywhere.
thanks

Eric Mittman

So it sounds like you are also having a problem connecting to your db right? We have some info that will help you establish your connection to the database from within Dreamweaver. On our new Web Development Workflow area we have this covered in part 4: Development. In here the first step lists how to create the connection to your db. Here is a link:

web-dev-workflow.php#

When it comes to the Digital File Pro problems you are experiencing please describe what settings you have in place that are allowing you to upload a file that is larger than the allowed size.

deafboyz_audio386924

i have the settings set to allow jpg png and gif( web graphics only) and fit to box of 200*200. They upload to my images folder, in an upload folder. i tried uploading an avi video and it started uploading. this was at the end of the day and it uploaded for about 5 min, then i had to leave. When i came back the webpage said it had expired and the video wasnt on the server. even then, i should of encountered an error saying it couldnt even try to upload. i dont want people to have to wait 10 min just to get an error.

deafboyz_audio386924

anyone have suggestions for fixing this issue? sorry is i ask a lot of questions but this program didnt really come with in depth training and i am new to the whole game, any help is appreciated

Eric Mittman

The upload server behavior will not be able to limit the file uploaded until it has been sent to the server, so you would not get any type of notice until after the file has been uploaded to the server.

If you do not want your file uploading for a long time first you should set the timeout to a smaller value with this code:

<?php set_time_limit(); ?>

You would then put in the number of seconds you would like the script to run until the time expires in the parenthesis.

deafboyz_audio386924

so how do i limit the wrong file types from being sent to the server in the first place? i know it can be done bc ive seen it with other sites before. About the timeout, some people have slow connections, i dont want to discriminate... oh and about having to add the error binding to the page that i want it to show up on.. in the bindings panel i have my browse 1-5 fields and they have a plus next to them, under that there are a bunch of lightning bolts are those the error codes? they say things like browse5 file size, browse5 error...etc.. I have them on the page that people select which files to upload on. will it work on that page or do i have to have them on the page they are redirect to when they upload. thanks for your help.

Eric Mittman

When it comes to checking the size of the file before it has been uploaded I have read in some places that this is possible but it is very much an advanced custom implementation and is not supported within Digital File Pro. The way that the Validation Toolkit and Digital File Pro work means that you will not be able to check the size or type of the file until it has been uploaded to the server.

The bindings for the upload should be labeled WA Upload Files (field name). In here are all of the bindings for the uploaded file including the error message, dubug info and the others. It is this error message that you want to place on the page. This should be on the page that has the upload server behavior applied to it.

deafboyz_audio386924

cool thanks, appreciate your time.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...