close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Edit DataBridge Preset....

Thread began 12/09/2013 8:26 pm by akstudio | Last modified 12/11/2013 7:12 am by Jason Byrnes | 2008 views | 7 replies |

akstudio

Edit DataBridge Preset....

So, I followed the Display nested recordsets tutorial. It is (almost) exactly what I need. I need to change the menu item names in the table to something else more in-tune with my project, I also need to add in about 8 more rows to the "menu_items" database.

How can I edit the preset that comes with that tutorial, so that I can have the preset manager create the DB and its relationship with all my additional row information?

I tried to just update the names of the rows in phpmyadmin, but quickly realized I am heading for a logistical headache. I looked at the xml, and no one in their right mind would attempt to edit this without full understanding of its structure.

Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

First, edit the tables to use the structure you need

Then you need to recreate the presets so that they use your tables structure, select the new from blank preset, then select your table.

on the manage pages tab, go onto the fields and settings section to set the labels, element types, and validation.

then set the pages to be created, and which fields to create.

When done save your new preset.

you can reuse that preset to have it create the tables on a new project.

akstudio

Thanks.

Just so I get this right, do I need to set up the table row relationships first in phpmyadmin (Actually, im using the old school gui tools)? Then, set them up in the preset manager? or can I choose which columns to associate within the preset manager and allow the tool to build the relationship?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You need to set up the tables in the database first. you don't need to specially define columns as being Foreign keys in the database, but the columns need to exist before they can be used in the data assist wizard.

akstudio

OK, that helped. I muscled through it, made a few mistakes, and learned along the way. This is now set up, thanks.

One more question, and this might be a bit complex. How can I take that tutorial (Display nested recordsets) and apply the "master/detail" functionality to it?

I've tried a lot of things to get it to work, but no luck.

The closest I came was inserting the master/detail functionality first. Then, I went back and followed the steps in the tutorial. If I edit the filter, as in the tutorial, on the items recordset, I get no data, but the recordset loops the right amount of categories.

If I leave the filter set to none, I only get one record, and no loops of the item data.

I feel I am close, but I just need a bit of help.

Thanks

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I dont follow, the master detail concept is to have a master list showing all product for example, then a link that passes the product ID to a details page to show only the one product.

From your description, it sounds like you are trying to show the detail on the master page, that wont work.

akstudio

I understand the concept of master/detail. However, I also want to loop through categories.

What I have is this:

8 Categories
96 Items (ItemTitle, Item Description, ItemStatus, ItemID, ItemDate, ItemIssues, etc)

On my "master page" I need to list out each category, and under each category, I need to display ItemTitle, ItemDescription (truncated) and ItemID. Clicking the ItemName would go to it's detail page, displaying the Category it's associated with, along with all of the items information.

I need the ability to add/edit and insert future categories, and categorize items to these categories. When I began building the page, I thought of using master/detail initially, but when I started to think about it, I needed to loop through categories and display them, then loop through items and display them under the proper category. Then I found the tutorial on nested recordsets.

Maybe I am going about this all wrong?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

ok, so within the listing for the items, create a link to the details page that passes the ItemID as a URL parameter

details.php?ItemID=4

on the details page, crate a recordset that uses the ItemID URL parameter to filter the correct product.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...