close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Sending emails in batches

Thread began 10/24/2013 9:10 am by iainmacdonald331081 | Last modified 11/08/2013 9:04 am by iainmacdonald331081 | 4317 views | 20 replies |

iainmacdonald331081

Sending emails in batches

Just a follow on from another recent thread now that I've at least established the problem and two possible solutions.

The problem is that with our current hosting, we cannot guarantee all emails as part of a mailshot are being sent because the script times out on the server. Unfortunately the UE methodology of trying to reset the script timeout value to zero doesn't work.

The two solutions appear to be:

1. move hosting to another provider that does not have this limitation.

2. change the script somehow so that it sends the mails in manageable batches rather than sent them as one total group.

It would be good to avoid moving hosts if possible, so I just wondered if anyone else had run into a similar issue, and if did you manage to resolve it?

Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

to create batches,, you would need to modify the recordset to return a smaller result set

you could filter by id:

Where ID > 0 AND ID < 100

for the first batch, then use
Where ID > 100 AND ID < 200

for the next batch and so on.

iainmacdonald331081

Not sure that will work in this case, as the records that get an email sent are based on a search - so the IDs could be anything.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

basically, you need to find a way to limit the search results to a manageable size to be able to send the emails in the time limit imposed by the server.

maybe try recordset paging on the results page.

Set the repeat region to limit to 30 or 40 records and add paging.

send the email on each page.

iainmacdonald331081

Thanks Jason - if UE will work like that, I'll give that a shot.

Probably better than the only other thing I'd come up with which was using the LIMIT function, and have two or three searches, each returning different records.

e.g. having three searches, and adding:

LIMIT 0, 100
LIMIT 100, 100
LIMIT 200, 100

to the end of each SQL query.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

paging basically does the same thing, it just adds the limit to the query dynamically based on the paging links.

iainmacdonald331081

I'm just trying to add a simple enough recordset paging, limiting the attached page to three records to test.

But its showing all records still - could you have a quick look to see if you can see what's up? I'm guessing its to do with the code just above the Doctype declaration throwing it out. But it should be the right recordset - RS_Candidates.

I've added more info below, but hopefully it will be something simple that doesn't get too involved.

Thank you.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

2 problems

1) the recordset at line 149 is hand coded so will not work with paging.

2) For paging to work, you need to use the Repeat region tool to limit the number of records that are displayed.

iainmacdonald331081

Thanks Jason - I thought that was probably the issue.

Can you just remind me where I go to change the settings for the mailshot in UE, i.e. the number of emails per minute and time between emails?

I have what I think is the right page open, but can't see anything obvious in the server behaviours panel.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

edit the UE server behavior, click the to button to set the email limits.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...