close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Upgrading Dreamweaver - General advice required

Thread began 10/23/2013 3:27 am by Nathon Jones Web Design | Last modified 10/23/2013 8:02 am by Jason Byrnes | 2865 views | 4 replies |

Nathon Jones Web Design

Upgrading Dreamweaver - General advice required

I have been using DW8.02 and Win XP Pro for 8 years now and it has been amazing value for money - and still works just fine!

Problem is, I can't test my sites in modern browsers because Windows XP either doesn't support them or they are just crashing constantly (Firefox) so I am forced to update my operating system and, subsequently, my hardware so I felt that I should also make a decision about Dreamweaver.

I wanted to ask for some advice, particularly here amongst web developer colleagues, on my options. My apologies if this is not the right place to ask but the advice I've received in this forum has always been very helpful. I'm also looking to upgrade so that I can start enjoying WebAssist extensions again!

Dreamweaver
I don't keep up to date on new software releases because, well, because they annoy me. DW8.02 still works absolutely fine but, if I had believed everything I was told, I should have upgraded every step of the way through CS1, CS2, CS3 and so on. There was absolutely no need.

I'm confused by the "Creative Cloud" though, even after talking to Adobe sales who were telling me about my 20GB space on the "cloud"...I manage 75+ websites along with all of my client files (photographs, video, documents etc) and am worried about space restrictions.

Can someone clarify the following...

1) Does Dreamweaver CC, being an app as I understand it, allow me to work from files on my own PC/Workstation (localhost) or does everything have to be hosted on the "cloud". Abode sales weren't sure about this when I asked!?

2) Can I connect to domains/sites that I host via FTP using Dreamweaver CC regardless of my Adobe cloud space?

3) What is the "cloud"?

Windows 7, 7 Pro, 7 Ultimate, Windows 8, 8.1, Downgradeable to Windows 7...what the heck!?

I've been using Windows XP Pro and it has been great but, as I understand it, support ends in 2014. Problem is I'm so confused about my options and which one is best for a developer that I just don't know what to choose.

Which Windows operating system should I opt for, as a developer?

Can someone also explain to me why some new PC's I've looked at seem to offer a downgrade option to Windows 7. Is Windows 8 a problem? Is Windows 8 even suitable for developers? I don't need tiles for Facebook and shopping, I need access to my client files and developer software.

I should also mention that, ideally, I want to be able to run Classic ASP within localhost as a lot of my old sites were created using Classic ASP.

PC Upgrade
Jeesh, where to start on this one. Can someone recommend which processor and how much RAM I should get that will last me 5 years that will run Adobe CC? There is, again, so much choice that I'm completely baffled.

In 2005 I bought a Pentium III with 4GB RAM and, for me, it flew. I'm therefore confused about why 4GB still seems to be the standard...is that because the processors have moved on so much? i3, i5, i7...I'm not up to speed on hardware, nor have I ever been, so I'd appreciate some advice on a processor that's going to last me 5 years.

Really appreciate the help. Thank you.
NJ

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) Dreamweaver CC works the same as other versions of Dreamweaver. the difference is the delivery method. YOu can only download Dreamweaver CC, there is no option for a physical disk anymore.

once installed, though, you can still access site files on your local testing server,

2) or access site files through FTP.

3) The "cloud" in the case of DW CC is storage space on Adobe's servers that you access through your Adobe account.

OS: Go with the Pro version, windows 7, or 8.1, your choice, but you will need the Pro version in order to install IIS. IIS will be needed for running classic ASP

RAM: The 4 GB standard for RAM has to do with how much the OS can access. A 32 bit OS can only access 4 GB of ram, to access more RAM, you need a 64 Bit OS.

Myself, I Would go with an Intel i7 processor, with 8 GB of RAM, 512GB SSD main drive for the OS and a 3TB secondary Drive, Win 8.1 Pro and a upper-middle of the line graphics adaptor.

I do Audio Processing / Recording in addition to web development.

Nathon Jones Web Design

Thanks man.

Thank you for the terrific advice, yet again.

i7, 8GB RAM and two hard drives with Windows 8.1 Pro...sounds like an expensive system. I guess I could go for 4GB RAM initially and then upgrade that when finances allow in order to reduce initial outlay. i5 might suffice too?

I, too, do audio recording but have never used my PC for it. That's partly the reason for upgrading my hardware too, to be honest, although I had pondered dedicating a MAC to my audio work. In case you're interested, I play resonator guitar - www.nathonjones.co.uk.

Really appreciate the info. Thank you.
NJ

Nathon Jones Web Design

64bit?

I see some PC's listed with:
Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Windows 8 64bit
Windows 8.1 64bit

...should I assume that Windows 8.1 is Pro or should it be described as such?
Also, I assume I need to opt for 64bit these days?

Thanks again - I know this is 'above and beyond the call'! :o)
NJ

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

It should be describe as Pro, I would go for 64 bit over 32 bit

Here is a link to 8.1 pro including both 32 and 64 bit install disks:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416711

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...