close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Using cookies to display a landing page to new visitors only

Thread began 9/30/2013 8:42 am by iainmacdonald331081 | Last modified 3/15/2016 3:48 pm by anonymous | 3359 views | 3 replies |

iainmacdonald331081

Using cookies to display a landing page to new visitors only

I've just had a request to set up a landing page that only new visitors to the site see. I'm assuming this is the sort of thing that can be done with cookies, but not sure how to set it up.

I've gotten as far as creating a test page, with set a standard cookie called 'landingpage'.

I assume I need to somehow set it up so that it checks the cookie, and either displays the landing page, or redirects to a different page.

If its possible, and not too tricky, I'd be really grateful for some pointers.

Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

determining whether someone is a new visitor or not is not that strait forward.

A cookie could be used, but keep in mind that once the cookie expires, or the user clears the cookies from their browser, then they would be considered a new user. Also, it the user used a different browser, they would be considered a new user.

You would need to add a check to the login page to see if the cookie is set, if not, send them to the landing page, on the landing page, set the cookie. That way, once they see the landing page, the cookie is set and the login page will allow access.

iainmacdonald331081

Thanks Jason - I didn't necessarily think it would be too straightforward. In this case its not a page behind a log in. Its basically just what any other site would have as a normal homepage. I did say to them that it wasn't foolproof anyway - as you say we don't have control over visitors cache or cookie history.

I asked if they had seen other examples doing this, expecting the answer to be no, but of course they had. I don't really see the point myself - I'm wondering if they've seen something about how it could have SEO benefit.

anonymous

Nice post

This post has been deleted.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...