close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Next webinar: SecurityAssist & User Registration

Thread began 9/12/2013 12:24 pm by Anna Robinson | Last modified 10/01/2013 9:00 am by Jason Byrnes | 7279 views | 8 replies |

Anna Robinson

Next webinar: SecurityAssist & User Registration

Thank you for your votes in our Suggestion Center! We've set our next webinar topic in accordance with your votes!

Learn how to take advantage of the SecurityAssist tool in Data Bridge and how to build a front end user registration and sign-in system, plus an administrative backend to manage users.

Saturday, September 28, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. PST
$99.99
Webinar lead by President, Ray Borduin
See the entire curriculum

Sign in to reply to this post

B Tonkin

What's with the price?

Not sure I understand why there's a price on these webinars and why there isn't a recording made available afterwards. I just can't justify a $100 price tag on learning how to use a $400 product. Great products, don't get me wrong, but to pay for this as a service feels less about you guys making sure people get the most out of your products and more about you guys making an easy buck.

I could justify it if you were teaching us something about someone else's product, because why would it be in your interest to do so if it wasn't for money. But because its your own product it feels totally wrong.

Everyone that attends seems to come out of with the same comment though ... "learnt lots, totally worth it". But how many people don't sign up to these webinars due to the price? What about because of the time when it's on? How many people would attend / watch it afterwards if it was free?

Chime in if you think I'm being an idiot here. You won't be the first person to say such a thing.

Jamie

Hey Baboosi

Dont think youre being an idiot at all - everyone is entitled to their opinion! ;)

First of, there is a recording available (free of course) to those that attended the webinar. I have made use time and time again of the recordings.

I have attended all the webinars so far and as you say, I am one of the ones that has come away having learned immense amounts that I can implement (and therefore charge) for my clients going forward. Its a learning curve for me both in terms of the capability of the software as well as the language itself.

Secondly, I personally look at it from the standpoint that providers do generally charge for more in depth hand holding of how to use their software. Look at Adobe or any other large organisation.

Webassist isnt a huge outfit like them and personally I am happy to pay for these sorts of things a) for my own benefit and learning but also b) to make sure that webassist continues to be able to offer the amazing support that they do on the Forums.

If you bought the suite for $400 and never bought anything else again, you still have UNLIMITED access to the forums and the second to none support that they provide there.

I just choose to support them and their efforts by making sure that I pay for the 'little' things that probably mean more to them than they do to me. I have made more money off the WA products by god knows what factor than I had to pay for them....

Just my thoughts

Jamie

Team WebAssist

Why we charge for trainings

Great question, I hope this helps you understand why...

We offer free written and video tutorials, as well as free technical support. The trainings, however, are a way to get small group training - and directly with our President, who is a Dreamweaver guru and qualified trainer.

The training curriculum often goes outside the box - how to do something custom with the products. Sometimes this includes steps outside of the products or custom code. Take double opt in verification, for example. Ray will be teaching those in the user registration webinar how to develop double opt in. This is not a 1-step interface type of job and we have a 40 minute video tutorial on this if you want to do it on your own. But if you want to learn how to do this, working with our President, and being able to ask questions live, it might be worth the money to you.

Sometimes the trainings also cover other web technologies; for example, our last training curriculum included infinite scroll with AJAX.

We have every intention of helping people develop websites more efficiently and proficiently at an affordable rate, but just like we have to charge for our extensions because of the time involved in building them, we also have to charge for our time developing and providing the trainings. You do not NEED this training to learn how to use our extensions, but our trainings will bolster the rate you learn... and we think that has inherent value to folks.

Some of our customers have told us that they like attending the webinars to give us some real world dev scenarios they are working on so we can either answer their questions in person or understand ideas they want incorporated into the products.

To Jamie: You are correct. Your support means VERY much to us. Your support fuels our development and funds our time to bring you new features and free tech support.

frank375703

As a designer first and developer by necessity, I have to say your documentation and videos leave people like me confused and frustrated. I spent all day yesterday trying to create a login page and I cant for the life of me get it to work. I would need a tutorial that starts from the very beginning and hand hold me through. Your tutorials and videos give me the impression that I need advanced knowledge of php, databasing, etc. Super suite is expensive and there is no manual that helps those without a programming background to create a website with all the features we are supposed to easily create from scratch. Im on Dreamweaver CC. The tutorial I watched was in CS4? The site definiton boxes are totally different and all I got was errors. "We tried to create the database table for you...". For those of us without a programming background who want tools to help us develop websites, we buy your products so we can do this quickly. Everything I have tried to do has come across errors. Whether it's a simple form or basic drop down menu navigation.

I understand the sentiment that if we have paid for the product why should we then be charged for the seminar and I agree with this sentiment for 1 reason. Your documentation that comes up when something isnt working, is very sparse. The tutorial I watched started in the process with something already developed, not from scratch. If your documentation could take a NON DEVELOPER from scratch to something developed, without having to ask for support through the forum, then charging would be fine.

With all this said, can someone please direct me to a actual tutorial on how to create a log in page ON a current page of an existing website? Additionally, I couldnt figure out how to add a "Search" feature and a "upload/download file" feature on an existing website.

frank375703

What I am essence saying is a Super Suite manual for Dummies is neccessary for those of us who want to learn more and expand our skills INTO the development community. I have read that one of Ray's goals with WebAssist was to help people who are NOT developers learn how to develop along with being able to do it quickly and without having to create stuff from scratch. But truthfully, out of all the tools I have used over the years WebAssist's tools leaving me wishing I knew more before I bought it.

frank375703

And i want to lastly say Jason is awesome and I thank the heavens he knows his stuff.

Jamie

Originally Said By: frank375703
  And i want to lastly say Jason is awesome and I thank the heavens he knows his stuff.  

hear hear!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

frank375703:

You can still use the wizards to create the functionality, then add the pages created by the wizards to your existing pages using Framework builder plugins.

The advantage to using plugins is that it allows you to create reusable pieces of functionality that you can then plugin to various parts of your site without needing to recreate the functionality each time.

If you have specific questions about this, please feel free to ask them here.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...